We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in lyon, help with restaurant choice and hotel

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
59 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in lyon, help with restaurant choice and hotel

There seems to be some very good advice flowing on this forum, so I thought I would post my questions. We are flying into Lyon en route to a hiking trip in the Alps, taking the train to Chamonix the next morning.

I have narrrowed my hotel choice down to Grand hotels des terreaux, hotel carlton and hotel des celestines. Its only for 1 night, and we will not spend much time in it so bed comfort and location are probably the most important factors. It seems Grand hotels des terreaux is in a slightly better location but carlton gets the best reviews, thoughts?

I was looking through the michelin guide for restaurant choices, and see on this forum that cafe des federation gets lots of recomendations. I don't think my partner would be interested in bouchon fare however. I made a reservation at Cafe espicerie that seems to offer some traditoinal lyonesse food with some other options for her. I am open to suggestions of better restaurants (up to ~ 100E pp), as long as they are not overly drawn out meals- i don't wish to spend 3+ hours in a restaurant, we will be jet lagged- and have some local flavour (ie not contemporary)

thanks in advance!

I should add we will be there Saturday, Aug 17th (it seems many restos are closed)

Edited: 9:33 am, June 20, 2013
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
869 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in lyon, help with restaurant choice and hotel

All three hotels are located in the very centre of the city, so location wise there is no much difference, as far as I know all three have air-cons (an important factor for August here), so you can safely choose any of them. Maybe Only_Lyon will advice better.

A fair number of good restaurants will indeed be closed during that period. I've never been to Cafe Epicerie, but it gets positive feedbacks on French sites. You might look also at Brasserie Le Nord closer to your hotel - they have some Lyon specialtes and a regular French cuisine as well. Or Le Grand Cafe Des Negociants - very decent cuisine in a Belle Epoque interior.

2. Re: 1 day in lyon, help with restaurant choice and hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 24, 2014