We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annecy day trip

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Annecy day trip

Would like to hear from anyone that has taken the train from Lyon to Annecy for a day trip.

It appears the quickest train journey is approx 2 hours each direction, departing from Lyon Part Dieu.

We only have 2 and half days in Lyon, and have a 2-3 hour walking tour planned for Vieux Lyon and the Traboules Do you feel it was worthwhile making the trip to Annecy ? Did you take the train from Lyon Part Dieu ?

Many thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annecy day trip

Hello.

A day trip to Annecy was enough for me when I lived in Lyon before. But then I can visit Paris in 3 days so it's hard to say LOL Annecy is a beautiful small town still. And yes, 2 hours for the train.

Well as for Lyon, there ain't much to visit in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Lyon is nice to live but just not as a tourist city. I would suggest Notre Dame de Fourviere when you are in Vieux Lyon; Place Bellecour all the way to Hotel de Ville; and Parc de la Têle d'or if you have time. A day and a half will possibly be enough to get a glance at Lyon.

For the train station, it is either Perrache or Part Dieu depending where your hotel is. But anyway, the train will mostly leave from Perrache and stop at Part Dieu on its way to Annecy.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annecy day trip

Lapin expressed his personal opinion, fair enough, but Mark and Sue, you should for sure take others into account !

There is actually a lot to see and to do in Lyon (the Old City being a tiny part of the heritage site!), since you are into history (from the Roman times to WW2 history), architecture, art (good museums in amazing settings), urban trails (up/down Croix-Rousse hill through stunning traboules, along the newly refurbished Rhône banks, etc).

So the number of days to enjoy most of what Lyon can offer just depends on what you're interested in. Two days will be enough if you stick to the "main attractions" but won't allow you to get out of the beaten paths.

Just browse the forum and have a look at a few recent posts, for example this interesting traveller report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187265-i601-k6111…

Regarding Annecy trains: all departures and arrivals are at Part-Dieu train station. A one day trip is enough to visit Annecy old city. You would need an overnight trip if you want to enjoy the lake shores and the mountains.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
639 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annecy day trip

Annecy is a great city, and while you can easily see the old part of the city and walk a bit along the lake in a day trip from Lyon, Lyon also has a lot to offer, and with just a few days, I would not recommend giving up the amount of time it would take to go to Annecy and back. Better to go to Annecy for a couple of days another time.

4. Re: Annecy day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 28, 2014