We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Lyon?

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Lyon?

Hi,

My wife and I along with another couple are travelling to Lyon in October. Whilst that is some way off we are keen to plan where or rather which area we should stay? We are a group in our 50's so would like to be in the centre but would like to stay in quiet but nice hotel.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Charlie 2428

Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

we were in Lyon April 2013 - stayed at the Grand Hotel des Terreaux and were quite happy with the room and services. we arrived at the airport and were picked up by Prestige Taxi. the owner, Francois, speaks excellent English and we found his services to be very good. perhaps a bit more than taking a regular taxi, but for a few extra euros, having someone meet you and take you directly to your destination - with a bit of information along the way - was well worth it for us. you can find his website and email him - he is very quick to reply. enjoy Lyon - it is lovely!

12. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:36 pm, May 08, 2013
Edited: 7:36 pm, May 08, 2013
Lyon
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

Thank you very much for this kind feedback ! It was a real pleasure to drive you last month.

I am a regular taxi and price are exactly the same than all others. Only one thing is higher ... the service :)Grand Hotel des Terreaux is definitly a very good hotel to stay, great location ( very central ) and good value.

Hope you had a nice trip in France during the rest of your stay.

François

http://www.LyonTaxiPrestige.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

My husband and I are thinking of renting an apartment overlooking the Saone river near St Georges church and Pont Bonapart on Quai Fulchiron - across the water from the Presqu'Ile area. Is that too far away from everything?

We have a car - and there is parking underneath the building which is a big plus. (We won't be using the car while in Lyon - but need a place to park it.)

Any comments on that general area?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

My husband and I are thinking of renting an apartment overlooking the Saone river near St Georges church and Pont Bonapart on Quai Fulchiron - across the water from the Presqu'Ile area. Is that too far away from everything?

We have a car - and there is parking underneath the building which is a big plus. (We won't be using the car while in Lyon - but need a place to park it.)

Any comments on that general area?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
936 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

That's a fantastic area to stay. You're very close to all the sights, and the area itself is lively with a lot of small bars and clubs. There are a lot of students in the evening if that doesn't bother you. The only possible hiccup could be that the Quai Fulchiron is quite busy a street. If your appartement is on the lower floor the noise factor could be a problem. Otherwise it's a very good choice.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

Hi, I know this is an old chat, but I am thinking of going to Lyon next week. I have never been to France and no nothing about France :-), however I have 2 weeks free and its easy to get to from Dubai where I am currently. Darth, you have provided some great information. Thank you. Sorry for a dumb question, but how do I find the Presqu'Ile area on a map? Being in a non-English speaking country, I prefer to be able to walk everywhere than rely on people understanding my (Aussie) accent.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
936 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

Hi, Presqu'Ile literally means "peninsula" in French, so this is the area between two of Lyon's rivers - Rhone and Saone. The most central part of it I circled in bleu on this map - …staticflickr.com/5312/7401408884_6cca097557…

Hotel La Residence mentioned here several times is a bit further South from this area.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

Ok, Thanks Darth. Do you recommend any reasonably priced, good accommodation in this area?

Pete

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Where to stay in Lyon?

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here, but I have to thank Darth for the fantastic map link. We have reserved a Junior Suite at the Hotel des Celestins, a hotel which I think this is in the southern part of Darth's blue circle. Any quick feedback on our hotel choice would be very reassuring. Sorry for the discussion side track.