We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

We are going to take a train from Lyon to Paris midweek ... is it necessary to buy our tickets in advance?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,918 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

If you wait until shortly before travel, you will pay top price. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

For Paris-Lyon, the price 3 months out can be as little as €25 and the walk-up price is €89.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Apart from cost, as tickets on this line are associated with seat reservations, it is likely that you may not be able to get seats together or by a window if you wait until the last minute.

Perth
Level Contributor
163 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Very sneaky sydneynick, I wish I had known that when I traveled on the TGV from Turin to Paris last year. I tried to book on the site but kept on being rerouted to Raileurope..

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Thank you so much, this is all very helpful! Our flight into Lyon from Munich arrives at 1 pm. Would a 3 pm train reservation be cutting it too close? Thank you again.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

There is a train that goes to Paris directly from the airport at 14.39. I'd advice you to take that train. And yes you'll have sufficient amount of time to catch it barring your plane is completely out of schedule.

Edited: 3:25 am, July 11, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Thank you! We will do just that! I see that you are from Lyon, so if I still have your attention, I'd be very interested in knowing your TOP choice for a restaurant or a not-to-miss area of the city. We will be staying in Lyon for two separate nights, a few nights apart, so we will have a portion of each day and the evening in your city. If you have a suggestion, I would welcome it. Thank you again!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

We are going to Lyon by train in October. Are there trains to Lyon from CDG at other times as well? We're arriving at 9 am.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

We are

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Kathy, on restaurants you'll find some information in this thread - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187265-i601-k52…

On different areas in Lyon here - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187265-i601-k53…

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lyon to paris by train - advance tickets needed?

Joan, trains from the CDG airport to Lyon leave roughly every 90 minutes.