We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tours near Lyon

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Wine tours near Lyon

Sincere apologies if this has already been asked a thousand times.

My wife and I are wine fans and want to spend some time in the Loire region, hopefully visiting some vineyards. The trip is in its infancy at present but I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me:

1. Whether you can operate for a week solely from Lyon, making days trips and returning at night.

2. Whether there are any small towns further south which are particularly nice to stay in.

3. Of any particular wine making centres nearby which we should prioritise.

4. If in your opinion there are better bases to explore the Loire valley from than Lyon.

Thanks very much indeed for any help.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,646 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine tours near Lyon

Um -- are going to the Loire, or to Lyon? There's a difference of several hundred kilometres there, and you absolutely would not base yourself in Lyon to see the Loire.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine tours near Lyon

Thanks for this - we are considering starting in Avignon instead and working our way north.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine tours near Lyon

Bartycrouch, I am perusing the forum, and was wondering if you had advice after your trip. My husband and I will be going in a month.

Thanks.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine tours near Lyon

If you want to discover Côtes du Rhone or Beaujolais vineyards, even Bourgogne, then Lyon is a good base (Dijon or Beaune beeing better for Bourgogne actually). But Lyon is definitely not a base for Loire Valley as you will find by yourself just looking at a map of France ;-)

If you take a few minutes to browse Lyon forum (just type "wine tour" in the search box above, you'll find previous threads that will give you trzvellers feedback), you'll see that tourists like Kanpai Tourisme, they have good reviews:

http://www.kanpai-tourisme.com/

London, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine tours near Lyon

Thank you Only-Lyon. We were planning on exploring Cotes du Rhone. We were wondering if Barty Crouch had recommendations for wineries.

6. Re: Wine tours near Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 23, 2014