We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still a bit confused

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austalia
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Still a bit confused

My husband and I are heading to Lyon for about 7 nights _ i have read all the reports and reviews but still a bit confused on where to stay and what the best are is to stay. - ?????

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
974 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still a bit confused

The most central area is Presqu'Ile, espl between the Bellecour square and Terreaux square. You'll have the biggest selection of hotels in this exact area to choose from.

Austalia
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still a bit confused

Thank you - is there a hotel you would recommend

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still a bit confused

Have you looked at the hotel reviews for Lyon. You are the person who knows what you want from a hotel and how much you are prepared to pay for it.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
974 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still a bit confused

I agree with railtraveller. And also a Lyon resident normally hasn't actually stayed in any of the Lyon hotels, so he cannot give an advice where to stay based on personal experience. Tripadvisor or booking is generally a reliable source for choosing a good hotel with many criterea.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still a bit confused

Check out only-lyon's posts - she's one of the destination experts (see the right hand side of this page for a hot link) and she gives a lot of very specific and excellent advice on these matters (as I can attest from having made many visits to Lyon).

Austalia
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still a bit confused

Thank you all very much- have a great weekend

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still a bit confused

I agree you should trust traveller's reviews regarding hotels. But although I am a resident here, I also have direct experiences regarding accommodation: on many occasion we had to accommodate family members or friends at nearby hotels because we couldn't have them all at home!

Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still a bit confused

Hi, just read your review of Lyon and I was wondering what agencies you recommend to book a nice apartment for a week or 2. We visited Lyon last April (unfortunately the mistral winds were there also for a week), we wanted to return and stay for a longer visit to see what we missed. I was on the appart-ambiance site, apartments look really nice, do you recommend this site? Could you answer a question for me? We noticed the bikes

everywhere and wanted to know how to rent them for a week, is there a card

to purchase so we don't have to go through the check out process each time we use a bike. Any input you may give us will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mike & Camille

Edited: 8:54 am, November 06, 2012
Lyon, France
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Still a bit confused

I know http://www.appart-ambiance.com

This agency proposes apartments in short term with cleaning and linen services. The appreciated differences with other websites are that they have exclusivity on almost all the apartements managed so that availabilites are updated. The team is from Lyon and one of them is a housekeeper who's job purpose is to make sure service is good but also to control that tenants are respectful. They select up-market apartements, almost only on the Presqu'ile with is the center of Lyon. I'am interested in your feedback about the service if you try it.

About the bikes, they are called Velo'v. You can rent it any time through the boundaries with your credit card. As far as I know, it is free firt 30 min and then 1€ for each 30min more. There is a deposit of 150€ on the credit card for the lengh of the use. I know that you can olso choose 1 day or 7 days card.

Edited: 9:37 am, December 03, 2012
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
974 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Still a bit confused

The Velo'V bycicle rental service is not meant for prolonged hire nor these bycicles are good for long trips. They are cheap and therefore heavy and good only for flat surfaces. They are fantastic inside the city, but if you plan on going further North by the banks of the Rhone or Saone rivers you'll have to have something better. There are several shops in Lyon, that have the bycicles for hire, just google for them.