We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

Washington, MO
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

We only have about 24 hours in Lyon (sept 18 & 19), and noticed that many museums and such are not open on Mondays. Any suggestions? We will arrive around 1pm on Sunday- what are the "not to be missed" sights on that day, and what should we see or do on Monday AM? Thanks much....

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

If you like markets, go to the Marche St Antoine on Sunday. I don't know how late it is open. Then cross the river and walk around Vieux Lyon.

There is a hop on hop off bus that goes up to the basilica. There is a nice path from there down to Vieux Lyon (or up, if you are that energetic).

Les Halles is also interesting if you like food and I think it is open until about 7 on Sunday (but closed on Monday).

Can't help with Monday.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

The Sunday food market along the Saône river is "open" until 1:30pm/1:45pm. You can pick up some food on the market and eat at one of the outdoor buvette: if you like oysters, choose the one closest to Pont Bonaparte.

From there, you are just a few steps from the Renaissance area. I suggest that you then take the funicular up to Fourvière. The roman theaters and the museum are open on Sundays:

musees-gallo-romains.com/fourviere/infos/ind…

Don't worry you'll have a lot to do and to see, more tahn you'll be able to do with only 2 half days. A few museums are open on Mondays actually, for instance:

- Musée des Beaux-Arts is open and you might enjoy having lunch at the Museum Café; From there you can discover the Croix-Rousse slopes traboules.

- Musée de la Miniature in the old city is also open on Mondays if you haven't explored it all on Sunday.

Washington, MO
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I only wish we had more time to spend in Lyon, as it seems to offer so many interesting sights (and food!!!)

LONDON
Level Contributor
234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

Hello,

Sorry to intrude on the question, but is the Marche St Antoine market the same food market which 'only-lyon' describes?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

Yes it is. This food market takes place along quai Saint-Antoine and quai des Célestins actually : from pont Bonaparte to pont maréchal Juin if you want to have a look at the map.

LONDON
Level Contributor
234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

Great, thanks for your quick reply, only-lyon.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

You're welcome Bartstar. I have seen you consider coming to Lyon for the end of 2011...just in time to visit the Art Biennal ! Assuming you're into art, it is very nice to get by boat to the main exhibition venue (in a former factory in a redevelopping area along the Saône):

http://www.biennaledelyon.com/uk/

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

I thank you too! I didn't stumble across Les Halles being closed on Mondays. The open Sunday info is great too - we have plans for Sunday (day at a co-worker's home) but now it may get cancelled due to the lousy weekend weather predicted. Not that if it's pouring rain we'll brave some of the outside sites, but it's nice to have the info anyway, in case it clears up.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

This site indicates that Les Halles is open on Sunday afternoons -

…lyon-france.com/Gourmet-addresses/Les-Halles

But this site indicates that the shops close at 12 on Sundays:

www.lyon.fr/vdl/sections/fr/entite…

Both sites say that Les Halles is closed on Mondays.

Edited: 6:47 pm, September 14, 2011
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday afternoon and Monday AM things to see in Lyon

Gosh! Anyone know what the real deal is for Sunday??