We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying train ticket?

Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Buying train ticket?

I'll visit Lyon and my hotel is near Lyon Perrache and plan to go to Annecy by bus or train. From my understanding the train/bus to Annecy are leaving from Lyon Part Dieu. I want to know that I can buy the train/bus ticket to Annecy at Perrache station or not? Or I must by its only at Part Dieu station.

Thanks for the suggestion.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying train ticket?

Yes yo can get the ticket at Perrache.

Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying train ticket?

Thanks, Railtraveller.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying train ticket?

You can buy your tickets at any vending machine, in a train station or at a SNCF boutique: there is one on place Bellecour.

Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying train ticket?

Thank you, only-lyon.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying train ticket?

Hi,

Yes you can buy from the bus/train station, you can also pre buy a ticket online the link below is for Raileurope and is a very good way of buying tickets for rail/bus travel online.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/

All the best , and have a enjoyable and safe trip.

Jon.

Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying train ticket?

Thanks Jon.

Iasi, Romania
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying train ticket?

Hello.

I intend to visit Lyon at the beginning of September.

The problem is that from Iasi, Romania the airplane ticket directly to Lyon is very expensive.

I have the option to go from Bucharest -> Lyon at approximately 190 euro/pers

Or I could go from Cluj -> Torino, Italy and then from Torino to Lyon with the train.

Here comes my question, is this a good option, I saw that the distance is about 300 km, where can I find some trains to Lyon and some info about the train stations in town beside St. Exupery?

Thank you!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying train ticket?

It is not easy to get from Torino to Lyon by train. It would probably take at least 5 hours with more than one connection and suitable trains are infrequent. If you can find good fares from Bucharest to Geneva (GVA) you would have a much easier 2 hour trip to Lyon. I think Baboo might be your best option there. They also fly to Toulouse (TLS). You might be able to find a cheap flight from TLS to LYS with a different airline (a bit risky...) or there are direct high speed trains from Toulouse taking about 4 hours.

Unfortunately Baboo is one of the more expensive budget airlines in my experience. I know WizzAir flies from Bucharest to Paris Beauvais (BVA). This might be cheap but getting from Beauvais to Lyon will take you at least 4.5 hours. You would need to take the bus from BVA to Paris (€15 and about 75 minutes), then travel by métro to Gare de Lyon (€1.70 and about 30 minutes), then high speed train to Lyon, about 2 hours. Paris-Lyon fares start at €22 if booked far enough ahead (up to 3 months).

For timetables and fares on French trains look at www.tgv-europe.com or www.voyages-sncf.com

For information on train stations in France go to www.gares-en-mouvement.com

In case there are other airports or flights that might work for you check www.whichbudget.com and www.skyscanner.net

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,828 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying train ticket?

I suspect that your cheap flight to Turin is not in fact to Turin Airport, but to Cuneo Airport at Levaldigi, an isolated minor airport with few flights and quite poor transport connections.

If so, the nearest train station is at Fossano. The latest of the few connections currently from Fossano to Lyon is at 1602, and will get you into Lyon at 21.24. At the normal fare of €61.40, this journey may cost more than your flight.

10. Re: Buying train ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 19, 2012