We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes?

We've booked a hotel in Lyon towards the end of August and recent TA reviews of this hotel advise future guests to take mosquito deterrents with them.

The hotel does not have air-conditioning and presumably windows have to be left open on warm evenings/nights.

Are mosquitoes a city wide problem or possibly just local to the hotel?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes?

I didn't notice mosquitoes when I spent several days in Lyon in late August last year.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes?

I've spent many many weeks in Lyon and the surrounding areas over the last ten or so summers and never had any problem at all with mosquitos. (And always slept with the windows open, regardless of having a/c or not, because we prefer that and it's not that hot at night there even in the summer.)

I'm wondering which hotel it is you're thinking of!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes?

It's a hotel just off Quai du Dr Gailleton and I'd wondered if the proximity of the river may be the reason.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes?

I'm baffled by that really. We've always stayed close to the river although never on an actual quai, and as I said never had any problem at all (including very close to where you will be staying). I'm wondering if the people who wrote those reviews were bitten by some other bugs and thought they were mosquitos. Very strange because mosquitoes are not usually highly localized.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes?

I've been living in Lyon for some time now and may justify that mosquitos really are an issue in my place and I live on the bank of the Saone river.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes?

I can confirm that you might have a few mosquitoes by the end of August, especially if the heat wave is going on; we have 37°C right now, and had to get rid of a mosquitoe last night!

chambery
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes?

That's weird. I live in Chambery one hour from Lyon and have traveled and stayed in hotels all over the region and I've never even seen a mosquito.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes?

We've just spent four nights in Lyon and this is our experience of mosquitoes.

Each night was sweltering hot, windows wide open and virtually no breeze.

First night - woken to sound of mosquito close to head - my arm flapped around and sound disappeared. No insect bites in the morning.

Second night - woken once again by mosquito sound and repeated my arm flapping. It went quiet.

Next morning there were a line of three insect bites on my back (I usually sleep on my side), an insect bite on my shoulder and one on my neck. My wife had insect bites on both knees(?), one on her neck and one on her ear lobe.

Third night switched on electric Mosquito repellant before retiring.

No sound of Mozzies and no insect bites in the morning.

Fourth night similar to third.

I didn't actually see a mosquito whilst in Lyon but I have heard the distinctive sound they make when we visited Tunisia and Egypt.

If it wasn't mozzies causing the insect bites then does anyone know what other insects could have caused the problem?

9. Re: Mosquitoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 22, 2010