We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

musée gadagne has reopened

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
musée gadagne has reopened

After a 10 years renovation, musée Gadagne has reopened in June! A few rooms are still closed, the museum café is not open yet, but I warmly recommend to get there

- for the beautiful 16th century Renaissance building

- to visit the very interesting puppet department

- and/or to relax in the very nice and quiet garden on the back...we spent a lovely moment there last weekend!

…lyon.fr/edifice-renaissance/index.html

pointsdactu.org/IMG/jpg/Jardin_Gadagne.jpg

Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: musée gadagne has reopened

Hi Only-Lyon,

We went on opening weekend and I have to say we were very disappointed. The history section is completely weak. The puppet section is interesting but disjointed (although it started what became a Guignol theme for our daughters... spot how many Guignols you can see in Lyon!). I think they have ruined the building. I was so dismayed as I have been waiting for a decade - the whole time I have been visiting Lyon regularly! - for it to be open, and I've walked past it to work every day during all those visits. (Also the lady at the ticket counter tried to cheat me on the price - which has never happened to us in Lyon so I was completely shocked and put off. I intuited that it was because my husband - very American accented French - started buying the tickets and she saw an opportunity. She quickly gave us the correct change when I pointed out the figure she gave was more than the announced charge or the one on the cash register, but gosh I disliked that suggestion of here's a foreign tourist we can cheat attitude...) Despite the ten year project, they still seemed t be in a state of chaos that weekend - printed guides missing in many rooms, audios unreliable, rooms empty, cafe not open as you say. I thought it was very expensive for what it is and wouldn't unfortunately recommend it to other visitors.

Ps Ou younger daughter was - just - too small for the bikes. Next time!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: musée gadagne has reopened

Sorry you experienced the mess of the opening weekend, opening has been a bit too soon actually, as it appears everything was not ready...

I fully agree the historical department is not very interesting, that's why I don"t recommend it.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: musée gadagne has reopened

Too bad for the Velov', Texas : you should have pm me as I suggested (I have a girl bike for her size!).

4. Re: musée gadagne has reopened

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 10, 2010