We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

We have three full days, Friday/Saturday/Sunday, in Lyon at the end of August.

What are the main must see and places to visit?

Basilique Notre Dame is on our itinery for the Sunday morning and we hope to dine nearby.

We will be using public transport and we have stout walking shoes to get around the City.

We would like see and visit Museums, Churches, Historical sites, Markets, Parks and decent evening meals are requested.

Any help appreciated.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

May I suggest that you start with a little search on this forum? You will find out a lot of recommendations already about the must see and must do, but of course choice will depend on your interests; there is a lot in the guide books and on the official websites, but using the search box with the following ideas, you will find out more focused advices, such as:

- lists of nice strolls, for example this one:

tripadvisor.com/…16216800

- a silk workers history focus (neighborhoods, musée des tissus, maison des canuts, atelier de soierie,..); you will find this thread for example:

tripadvisor.com/…16092079

- the traboules, that is a local curiosity; you will find this thread for example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187265-i601-k2496…

- the painted walls

- etc etc

Regarding your Sunday itinerary : don't miss the Sunday markets on the Saône banks (a food market where you can grab food you can eat at the local "buvette" for lunch; an art and craft market and a used book market); take the funicular up the hill (I would get firstly to the roman theaters (Saint Just funicular, not the Fourvière one), walk to Fourvière and then walk down the hill using the stairs to Saint Jean or montée Nicolas de Lange). Why did you think about having dinner at Fourvière?

Same regarding restaurants recommendations. I suggest that you try a local "bouchon", you will find my list of favourites and travellers feedbacks if you type "bouchon" in the search box.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

Many thanks for the reply - I'm working my way through the forum and guides to try and get a reasonable itinerary.

Thanks.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

Hi, we stayed in Lyon last year and LOVED it! Brasserie Georges is a fabulous restaurant and a great experience. the bouchon's are great and as a great fan of North African food I can highly recommend tracking one down whilst you're there. The integrated travel system is excellent and if you buy a day ticket it allows you to travel on all public transport all day (except TGV)for just a few euros with no hassle. Do make the effort to visit the old town, it's well worth it. There was also a miniature museum that was fascinating. I want to go again now!!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

Hi -

Most of us here on the forum use at least two guide books - one never seems to be enough. Get a couple of good ones - I usually start out with the Rough Guide and one other, often Frommers - read through the Lyon and area information and make a wish list as you go. Once each of you prioritizes your lists and they're collated, you'll have a pretty good idea of an itinerary for the area.

Get a map of the city - Google probably has one that you can print out - so you can group sites according to location. Then come back to the forum for specifics on the best way of managing the itinerary.

My best guess is that you'll find that 3 days is only enough for a taste of what Lyon has to offer, but that's why we're always planning our next trips, isn't it?

5. Re: Lyon - Must see - Must visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2010