We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Hi, I posted yesterday with a different, less specific title. I did get a very helpful suggestion to consider Chateau des Bagnols which does look absolutely fantastic but it's more than I'd like to spend--I'd prefer to spend no more than about $400-500 per night for the room. So I'm trying again with a more specific title.

I'm in the process of planning a trip to France to celebrate my 50th birthday in September. I already have rented an apartment in Paris for a week and am looking for somewhere outside of Paris for 2-3 nights. I've been to France many times and have been to most regions but never to Lyon or the surrounding area. I love good food so Lyon is definitely on my list for that reason, and also because it's an easy TGV ride from Paris (although I realize we'll probably have to rent a car in Lyon to get to hotels that are out in the countryside).

Excellent food and a beautiful relaxing setting are the main things I'm looking for.

I've looked on the Relais & Chateaux website and several places look interesting--such as Alain Chapel and Regis et Jacques Marcon (aka Clos des Cimes? That's unclear). But I haven't found much if any feedback about them here on TA.

One place I did see some very nice reviews for here on TA is a place about 2 hours from Lyon (near St. Etienne) called Les Deux Abbesses.

And I just looked at the website for La Pyramide in Vienne that also looks nice. And then there's Troisgros...I'm getting overwhelmed ;-).

If anyone has any feedback about these places, or other suggestions, I would be very grateful. I'll be traveling with a female friend so we need a place that offers rooms with two beds.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Hi NW, sorry to hear that you can't find a good price for Chateau Bagnols.

We tried Troisgros once for a night and a formal dinner - we were disappointed; the location was unremarkable, and the food was fancy, expensive, but not flavorable as expected.

have you considered Bordeaux? it's also an easy TGV journey from Paris...

best of success finding the perfect place to celebrate your birthday!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Thanks--I did look on Luxury Link per your suggestion but the rates were still pretty high. I'm sure it's worth it but I'm already feeling like the budget for this trip is getting out of control so I'm hoping to spend a bit less for this portion of the trip ;-).

I have spent time in Bordeaux and also in the Dordogne, which I love, particularly the bastides. So that's one reason the setting of Les Deux Abbesses looks appealing.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

right; the luxury link deals are pretty pricey right now. keep checking their site for better deals later. part of the problem is the horribly steep exchange rate currently, plus you would be traveling in high season. Chateau Bagnols has some very reasonable deals off-season (just to keep in mind, if you are considering the area in the winter someday).

hope you find something wonderful - I'm sure you will...

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

I have not been there but everybody here in Lyon says that eating at Régis and Jacques Marcon restaurant is a great experience.

But be aware that:

1) You have to like mushrooms as it is their speciality

2) L'auberge des cimes is over, they are actually building a brand new place. That is why probably you felt the names were unclear. They have several places now :

- the 'restaurant Régis et Jacques Marcon'

- the 'hotel Régis et Jacques Marcon' (modern)

- the former hotel 'le clos des Cïmes' is still operating (quaint)

- and also a bistrot and a bakery!

Have a look at the website that is pretty clear on this:

http://www.regismarcon.fr

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Thanks, only-lyon, that makes sense now. I had looked at their website but wasn't completely clear on what the situation was since my french is a little rusty ;-) and I couldn't get the english version to come up.

In any event, I've sent them an email to find out if they have rooms with two beds available for my dates.

Any feedback on Alain Chapel or La Pyramide?

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Oh, and I *love* mushrooms so that would be a reason to go there, for sure.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Sorry, no feedback on Chapel or la Pyramide. My foodies friends are found of Marcon at Saint Bonnet and also of Michel Bras at Laguiole. Did you have a look at this one ?

http://www.michel-bras.com/

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Yes, I did--a poster on chowhound suggested staying at a place called Auberge Pre Bossu and eating at Michel Bras, although it looks like a pretty nice place to stay as well.

Lyon, France
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

Dear Northwesternwander,

La pyramide is an excellent restaurant with a high quality food, excellent service and atmosphere...as far as Les Trois Gros, I completely agree with a former post saying it is not worth the price....if you are looking for a hotel AND a restaurant i would advise you to have a look at la cour des loges http://www.courdesloges.com/ the hotel is superb and the new chef has had very good critics....hope it'll help, have a nice stay in Lyon!

Sandrine

10. Re: Alain Chapel? La Pyramide? Les Deux Abbesses? Troisgros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 22, 2009