We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

Los Angeles, CA
3 posts
Save Topic
WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

My wife and I will be spending several nights in Lyon in September. We are interested in taking a day trip to visit the northern Rhone wine region. Based on what I have read, it seems like a rental car would be the best way to get there. Can anyone offer any suggestions for individual wineries to visit? Also, we would consider going on a one day tour with a guide, any suggestions for this would also be appreciated.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

I am sorry I can't help you right now, as we are not great fans of the beaujolais and maconnais wines. But I am going to ask collegues for a good winery address and will come back to you soon.

You may also browse this website to find the wineries adresses. This might help you making an itinerary:

macon-tourism.com/fr/decouverte-caves-maconn…

And for a guided tour, I found this useful website; they offer 1/2 day and one day tours, they have english speaking guides:

http://www.beaujolais.net/

You will need to rent a car to go there, but you don't need any car while staying in Lyon. You will be able to visit the city on foot, bike (there is a bike rental system, free the first 1/2 hour) and public transportation is very good.

Los Angeles, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

Thanks for the input. We're actually thinking about heading South from Lyon to the Northern part of the Cote du Rhone. Any thoughts on that region? Another idea that we have been considering is splitting our time between Lyon and Beaune and visiting some Cote d'Or wineries.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

I drove down the Rhone Valley a few years ago, visiting a number of wine producers along the way. I would say that a hire car is a must.

We started of from Vienne, where we had spent the night, and drove down the N86. It is a beatiful drive, with vineyards on the hills to the right of the road.

The first vineyards appear very quickly after Vienne, and are in the Côte Rotie appelation. I had no pre-existing list of producers, but simply stopped where I saw signs for Dégustation and Vente Directe.

We carried on down the N86 to Serrières, and then crossed the river to pick up the A7 motorway at Junction 12. We continued south to Junction 13, and Tain-l'Hermitage, where you will find the Hermitage and Crozes-Hermitage appelations.

Once again, we just visited producers having seen their signs at the side of the road.

From there you can take the motorway back up tp Lyons.

I am afraid I can't remember any producers, and the wine I bought has been drunk a long time ago. However, there are lots of wine producers all the way down that route, and I am certain you will have no difficulty visiting and sampling the wines.

Los Angeles, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

Hi SunLoverFrance,

Thanks for the info, I think we may wind up following your route. That way we'll get to stay based in Lyon and see more of the local sights.

OnlyLyon, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after reading through your other informative posts. We are interested in exploring the older parts of the city and enjoying great food and wine. Also perhapsanother day trip out to the countryside.

5. Re: WInery visits to northern Rhone from Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 03, 2009