We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honest advice

london
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
honest advice

Hi all!

I am planning to stay in france for a month but am really not sure where to go since I am new to france and wouldnt mind just anywhere.

I am considering Toulouse, Paris, and Lyon at the moment. My only concern about Paris is that it might be too crowded over the summer with all the tourists flooded in. I want to experience a genuine french culture and want to stay in big-medium towns where there are loads of things to do like concerts, festivals and activities after class. It'd be nice to be able to make short weekend trips to the nearby towns too so it's also a matter of convinience.

Paris isn't so bad but it's probably gonna be very pricy. So really it's kind of down to Lyon and Toulouse now. Thing is I've been to Lyon twice and never Toulouse. But then it'd be difficult to get out of Toulouse to Paris given it's a 5 hour ride journey and the train fare is expensive. Give advice please!

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honest advice

Why ask for "honest" advice? Do you really assume that those on this Forum would give you "dishonest" advice?

:-(

london
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honest advice

not dishonest, but sometimes you can be biased if you are from the town yourself. What makes you think I'd come here to get dishonest advice?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honest advice

Hi Kangel, I suggest that you have a look on my previous posts about Lyon, but won't add anything that could be considered as dishonest... You can get your own opinion while browsing a few websites.

For Lyon : http://www.en.lyon-france.com/

As you have already been in Lyon, I would recommand you to take the opportunity to discover an other town : Toulouse is great, but also Bordeaux that have recently been beautifully renovated.

Don't hesitate asking further questions if you finally plan to come to Lyon. As you've already been here, what would you make come back, what are your hesitation ?

london
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honest advice

Hi Only Lyon,

Thanks for your advice. I've been to Lyon twice but both were really short trips enough to cover most parts of Lyon. I think it's a very very beautiful town and would want to go back again for sure. But at the same time I would want to discover other great french cities too like you said, since I've already been to Lyon. Have you been to Toulouse yourself? Is it as beautiful as Lyon?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honest advice

Yes, Toulouse is also a very beaufiful town, a very lively one as there are a lot of students. Both Toulouse and Bordeaux are interesting towns, beaufiful in different ways, big enough to have museums, trendy cafés and restaurants and with beautiful landscapes outside of the town.

Of course, Lyon is unique as far as its history is concerned, has the most beaufilly preserved Renaissance district in France (it is a UNESCO Heritage Site), and it's also unique because of its geography, with I think a particular charm due to its 2 rivers merging in Lyon and 2 hills. But if I were you I would take the opportunity to discover either Toulouse or Bordeaux.

london
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honest advice

I will give Toulose a serious thought. I posted this on Toulouse forum but no one seems to know.

Are there a lot of spanish in Toulouse given its proximity to Spain? No offence but I'd very much prefer to have a genuine french experience and learn to speak in a proper French accent.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honest advice

I don't know if there are a lot of spanish people in Toulouse, but anyway your teachers are going to be french ?

There is not a "french" accent, every region has its specific accent, even Paris. Yes, there is a "southern" accent in Toulouse (a charming one, very "singing"). But there is also an accent in Lyon.

I also suggested Bordeaux as it is closest to the sea and it could be nice in summer to go to the ocean for the weekend (Toulouse may be very hot in summer). Have you tried to post this on the Bordeaux forum ?

8. Re: honest advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, August 26, 2009