We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019

North Oxford...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019

Hello,

I am planning on traveling to Lyon, France in February of 2019. I will be traveling by myself, and plan on staying at a hostel.

I have traveled a bit in the past--32 states in the USA, Montreal Canada 3x, and I have traveled the South coast of Iceland as well. However, this will be my first solo international trip, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on traveling in this area as a young woman (23) by herself?

Also, would you recommend renting a car while their, or just walking around the city yourself? I don't mind the cold, or the rain, so that's not a problem and I am fairly athletic.

Please, tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly!

4 replies to this topic
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019

You don't tell how long you plan to stay in Lyon, which makes a difference re: your rental question.

I think that Lyon is very nice for a solo traveler, the city is very safe and very walkable.

Staying at a hostel is a good option as you’re going to meet other travelers.

You might want to book a visit with a Greeter, in order to blend with locals as well.

North Oxford...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019

I am planning on staying for four full days!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,123 posts
497 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019

Lyon is beautiful. You should not have a car in Lyon. It would be a hindrance.

It’s s compact walkable city (I’m not counting the broader Lyon area. Just the center where visitors go)

Stay either in or as close as you can to the old town or between place jacobins and Place bellecour on the presqu’il.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019

With 4 days only you definitely won’t need a car!

Reply to: Traveling to Lyon Solo in 2/2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted