We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spoken English in Grenoble

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
spoken English in Grenoble

Hi, Bonjour, silly question perhaps but one I would like to know the answer to, I've just booked to stay in Grenoble for the first week in April 2014 and must admit (to my shame) that I do not speak French, is this going to hinder me greatly in restaurants, bars,etc or is English widely spoken in town? I'll master my pleases and thankyous before I go but will I need more?

Thanks, Merci, in anticipation of any replies.

Dougie..

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spoken English in Grenoble

Hello Dougie,

Well... you'd be better off speaking some French!

But depending where you go in Grenoble you may find that some of the staff in bars, restaurants etc may well speak some English.

It really depends on what you are thinking of doing and where you want to go when you are here?

Anyhow, just remember that every conversation starts with Bonjour and eye contact... then you can get away with Franglias!

If you are planning of travelling up to the ski resorts you will find that there are plenty of French that speak English.

Grenoble is a great city to visit but it can be very cold and windy - so check the weather forecast before you travel as you might need your thermals!

Edited: 1:16 pm, January 27, 2014
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spoken English in Grenoble

Merci! I've downloaded an app and have started!! 😃 thanks for your reply, my main concern was if I go hiking via public transport is getting myself understood by the drivers or anyone I need directions from, I guess I'll need to learn some French quickly! I can always point to the beer I want and smile! 😃 I do know a deal of Italian so that might help, well, in Italian restaurants anyway! As for the cold, we are well used to it on the Isle of Man... brrr..

Merci

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spoken English in Grenoble

Well we arent far from the Italian border so the knowledge of Italian will be a bonus!

Be careful hiking in April as it will still be cold and snowy, skiing doesnt finish in the mountains around Grenoble until the end of April and many high passes arent open until the end of May/beginning of June.

Also remember - 5c for every approx 1000m in height increase.

There is plenty of public transport. The trams are great and cheap. A 10 journey pass is about 13€. Great views from The Bastille... enjoy

Edited: 4:17 pm, January 27, 2014
4. Re: spoken English in Grenoble

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:15 pm, January 30, 2016
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spoken English in Grenoble

Salut, thank you so much, your advice is truly appreciated, I don't intend to get too high in altitude, just somewhere I can bus to and maybe hike for around 3-4 hours before bus back to town, I'll call into the tourist office first day for more tips and advice.. wish my old French teacher at school hadn't been such a dragon, I would've paid more attention! 😃 many thanks

Dougie

6. Re: spoken English in Grenoble

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 29, 2015