We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Which Grenoble hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Hi,

I'm working near Grenoble next month, and was wondering if someone could advise me on the cheapest way to travel from Grenoble (where I'll be staying/arriving at) to the place I'm working. Here is the name and address of the museum I need to get to.

Musee d'Art Sacre Contemporain - Saint Hughes-de-Chartreuse,

Saint Pierre de Chartreuse.

According to google maps it takes about 34 minutes to drive from Grenoble to Saint Pierre de Chartreuse. I'm guessing a taxi there and back would be quite expensive. Are there buses along this route? Failing that maybe I could hire a car?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Here's a link:

www.tgv-europe.com/en/Car_hire/train-avis…

Apparently there is an extra 10 euro charge if you rent a car and don't have a train ticket.

London
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Thanks IrishRovr, I think I managed to correctly fill out the form (my French is not that great!). I think the cheapest deal for the day is 112,94 euros.

Therefore the bus seems like the cheapest option, so I'll probably do that. I've just got two questions.

On the link halwimsey posted above, there seems to be several bus stops in Saint Pierre de Chartreuse. Which one of those bus stops are closest to the museum? Here's the link again.

www.transisere.fr/horaires_ligne/index.asp…

Also, Fleur1104 gave a link with bus prices on, but I'm struggling to work out the price. Can anyone tell me what the return cost is? Also, can I buy a return, or do I have to buy two singles? Here's the link.

transisere.fr/ftp/…20Chartreuse.pdf

Thanks a lot.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

In France there's no such thing as a return ticket... you always pay for 2 singles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Looking at google maps, the La Diat stop is closest to the road down to the museum but I'm sure if you rang or emailed them they'd be able to tell you where to get off and how best to get there.

This leaflet shows the zones and cost of a ticket, looks like you will be going across 2 zones (A and B) so will pay 3.60 Euros single

http://www.transisere.fr/ftp/FR_libre1/Dépliant%20tarifaire%202010-2011.pdf

Edited: 7:51 am, April 06, 2011
London
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Thanks fleur for your info, that's sounds incredibly cheap for the bus far. Even though the timing of the bus is going to entail a bit of hanging around, it looks like the best option by far. I'm assuming it will be a nice place to hang around though?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

You're welcome. I thought it really cheap too, especially compared to local bus fares in my home town in Yorkshire. The scenery round there is beautiful, St Pierre is a ski resort in winter so you will have lots of mountains surrounding you. The village's website has some info you may find useful http://www.st-pierre-chartreuse.com/

London
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Hi again,

Could someone check I've interpreted the bus timetable correctly please? On the way back to Grenoble (on Sunday), am I right in saying that the last bus is at 17.15? If that is the case I might have to stay the night in Saint Pierre de Chartreuse and travel back to Grenoble the next morning. If that is the case, are there buses at 6.15am, 6.45am and 7am back to Grenoble (on Monday morning)? I don't think I can catch any later buses than that, because my train home from Grenoble leaves at 12.05!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

The 7am bus is only on Sundays and public holidays, so that won't be any good. Looking at the timetable, you'll either have to catch the 6.15am or 6.45am bus so as to ensure that you make your train.

You could also catch the 7.30am bus to Saint Laurent du Pont and change at the Gare Routiere to another bus (at 8am) which will take you to Grenoble. After this, the next bus from St P de C departs at 12.45pm (so it's of no use to you whatsoever!).

Personally, I'd catch the 6.45am bus - I think that it's the easiest option.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

Here's something that might put a spanner in the works - or not, as the case may be.

www.transisere.fr/perturbation/index.asp…

As far as I understand it, there will be major work on the road to Saint Pierre de Chartreuse between 11 April and 27 May - which will disrupt bus schedules between Grenoble and the town. Although scheduled to end before your 29 May trip, I would bear it in mind in case...

During the period of works, buses will be leaving 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled departure time from Saint Pierre de Chartreuse - so if work is still continuing on 30 May for whatever reason, you'd have to be at the bus stop at 6.15am to catch what normally would be the 6.45am bus.

Buses from Grenoble seem to be leaving at the usual time but arriving at the town 30 minutes late.

Of course, the works may finish on or ahead of time - you won't know until you're there - so you may not have to worry about this at all. But it's good to be aware of it!

20. Re: what's the cheapest way of travelling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 26, 2012