We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

I am putting together a holiday based on the French side of Lake Geneva and I was wondering which of the above towns would be the better place to stay next spring?

If I were to base myself on the Swiss side what town would those in the know recommend?

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

we have stayed in Lusanne on the Swiss side - it was ok - easy access to the boats to tour the lake etc. Last year, however we visited Yviore on the french side for a day and we all promised to go back and use it as a base to tour Lake Geneva - We loved the town, the hotels on the lake and the geberal feel of the town. In the height of the summer I imagine it would be mobbed but the spring of fall should be great

jhg

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

Thanks Janeharriet. I was looking at some hotels on the lakeside at YVoire that looked lovely. My only concern about Yvoire was that it might be too quiet? Where would you recommend that I might visit that is nice for strolling, architecture, cafe's etc.....on either side of the lake.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

first of all, don't talk about the Lake of Geneva, it's the Lake Leman...that said, of course Yvoire is a very quite place to stay, no entertainement at all. About Evian and Thonon, we can compare them to Cannes and Nice (smaller of course) ....

On the swiss coast, would say between Lausanne and Montreux, or Nyon and Morges, depends what is your budget and what you are looking for .....

Manchester England
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

Have just spent 3 nights in Yvoire which we loved. Visited Evian which is much more of a town whereas Yvoire is a village. No cars are allowed in and car parks provided on edge of village. Quite bustling during day particularly at weekends. Nothing other that individual shops and retaurants and some live music in the square.

So depends what you like really but Yvoire suited us as we don`t like staying in towns and we are a middle aged couple.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

Hi BoxtheFox,

All these places are nice so I don't think you will have a bad time whichever you choose. Partly it depends on what activities you plan to do. If you are going to have a car and go exploring Yvoire is slightly nearer to the western end and access to the roads to Annecy, Chamonix etc, but it's marginal. Find the best hotel with the best price and book there.

Personally in Spring time I would prefer the Swiss side (Lausanne to Montreux) and have a room with balcony or at least hotel with a lake view. This means you can see the sun setting over Mont Blanc and it's a fantastic way to unwind with a drink each night.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

Thank you all for your help. The plan is to fly in to Grenoble Airport with Ryanair and then spend a few days close to the lake possibly Evian and travel across/along the lake from there on day trips using public transport. Then head to Annecy for a couple of days before heading back to Grenoble for a night or two and then home.

We need somewhere where there is good access to public transport.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

Hi Boxthe Fox,

If you will be seeing the Alps round Grenoble and Annecy as the rest of the break then it may be worth thinking hard about staying on the Swiss side of the lake. If you are in Lausanne for example then train connections to Montreux and Geneva are very easy, whereas connections from Evian, Thonon etc don't really go anywhere directly. You can take the boat for a one day to visit Evian etc and have convenient connections other days for trips in to Switzerland. Stay in Evian if you want to have active days out in the mountains eg towards Morzine or Avoriaz.

8. Re: Yvoire, Evian or Thonon Les Bains.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Evian-les-Bains