We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer / weather conditions in April.

Which Courchevel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
staffs
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer / weather conditions in April.

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

I've found a deal for Grenoble on the 8th April for one week. Is this to late for good skiing/ other snow activities?

We've never actually been skiing before, but we want to go some where "snowy" for a change, so if the snow is gone, we may as well just book a sun holiday.

Also is Grenoble a nice, child friendly place? We have 2 young boys aged 1 and 4.

Thanks to everybody who replies, any advise is welcome.

samandtom.

norfolk
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer / weather conditions in April.

re snow in April. No it is far from to late. The three valleys has just had a load more snow. Some of the best skiing can be found in the spring. there is likely to be less snow about lower down but at Courchevel 1850 you are sure to have a great time. The snow can be a bit heavy at times but a plus point should be the milder temperatures so you shouldnt freeze.

In short you are not to late at the higher resorts most lifts are likely to be working.

Useful link is www.latania.co.uk Gives latest snow reports and snow forcasts etc.

Regards John

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer / weather conditions in April.

I have only flown in to Grenoble on the way to ski resorts - courchevel, which is lovely and very friendly but expensive to eat and drink, very pretty and your boys would enjoy the snow and sledging.

Cardigan, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer / weather conditions in April.

I have just got back from Meribel, the neighbouring resort to Courchevel and we asked one of the local skiers about the best/cheapest time to go back for another visit this season.

He said to look for last minute deals at the beginning of March, as much of the accommodation is unbooked right now due to the recession, so some really cheap deals should be available later on.

He said that mid-March onwards and the weather warms up and the trees begin to leaf, so if there is any snow, it is slushy and unpleasant to ski on and not worth bothering with.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't go skiing 8 April in Europe, as it really must be the last desperate week of the winter season here and seeing snow may be 50/50.

I think that January is the best time generally, as it is cold enough for snow but not the school holidays and everyone is generally getting over Christmas, so the prices are pretty low. Maybe you could go next January?!

4. Re: First timer / weather conditions in April.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 11, 2009