We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

RVC NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

We are a family from the states who will be skiing in Chamonix in about 2 weeks. I am looking for some nice long runs for myself and my 2 boys ages 17 and 10 years old. We are Intermediate skiers and we have skiied in Cortina and Innsbruck the last 2 years. We will only have 4 days of skiing, so if you can tell us which are best, and which would not fit our abilities. We will have a car and expect to drive to the slopes. I probably will not buy the all access ski pass since we will not have a chance to ski all the areas. I figure days passes for each slope are less expensive. We would like to go skiing as high as we can, provided we are within our abilities as intermediates. Can anyone suggest the areas we should check out, the best, and the ones to avoid, for the 4 days we will be there? Any suggestions for a kicking good time would really help. Thanks

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

Frank

Day passes are quite expensive and it is a bind having to queue each day to buy them.

Buy the Chamski for 4 days: try to get the Chamfamille 345euros for 4 days.

It can also include insurance at around 3euros a day each. if you already have cover don't bother.

This pass covers all the Chamonix areas (NOT LES HOUCHES) but beleive me you will not miss it.

Most black runs are not pisted as such. All blues and reds are.

Starting in Chamonix there is Brevente and Flegere, now linked , which is a great days skiing on south facing slopes. There are many new runs and most are intermediate (red) although there are 1 or 2 blacks which are not as bad as you would think.

Next La Tour this area used to be marketed for beginners and families but now, since it was expended, it is just a really nice area.

Loads of easy reds/blues and just one off piste black run. This is not as steep as Brevente/Flegere.

I would say that at Brevente, Flegere and La Tour the runs are, on average, a couple of miles long.

Saving the best till last, Les Grands Montets, this is just the best area in the valley. The skiing overall is challenging and the runs long and steep.

Typically from Bochard to the bottom lift station is about 5 - 6 miles and a 1600m vertical drop. From the very to 3300. to the bottom is about 8 miles and 2000m vertical drop. It is huge !!

There does not seem to be a lot of runs on the piste map but these are more indicative of the direction, you can ski anywhere you feel confident of.

Be warned the very top run is not pisted at all and it will take 45mins from the top to the mid station and there are 3 huge mogul fields. If you are not confident either take a guide, well worth it on the glacier as the scenary is wonderful.

If you do not fancy that just use your pass to the top and site see it is stunning.

There is also the Mer de Glace, this you must take a guide and it will be at least a half trip. I tis fantastic and not too difficult. But it is 15miles totally off piste. Again the scenary is stunning.

Have a great trip Chamonix is fantastic and don't listen to the snobs it is not just for good skiers. It is fantastic for all.

By the way I quite like the place !!

seattle, US...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

This is a great review, thanks. We had the same concerns/questions after reading so many reviews about the advanced and off-piste skiing... no one seems to mention the good skiing for intermediates.

I have one other question for those that have been to Chamonix:

A couple articles also mentioned the resorts in Chamonix had slower or mostly older lifts. Is that true?

I'm sure they have some new ones, but overall, would you say we'll be riding up the lifts on rickety, older chairs? Those reviews surprised us, since Chamonix is said by many to be the best resort in Europe.

Thanks for any feedback on the lifts! And if any intermediate skiers want to add their experiences, would love to hear about those too!!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

Seattle or wherever

No that is not correct.

The lift systems are now mostly new. Over the last 10 years all the old lifts have been replaced with state of the art systems.

At La Tour most of the lifts are Poma Tows (button) and these are the oldest (20 odd years old as far as I know) as this is the only area where these can be used. Saying that they all work and queing is minimal even on the big holiday weekends.

Brevente/Flegere are now linked the old 3 man chair at Flegere has been replaced with a fast 4 or 6 man. (Never been on it with more than 2 people so not sure but I think you catch the point).

I am going at New Year and it will be fanatastic, the Bouchard lift in Argentiere is opening this weekend and that means great skiing.

You might find a queue to buy lift passes and then get the cable car at Les Grand Montets but in reality that will be it. (If there is a queue for the cable keep to the left up the staircase and go for the 4 man chair.)

seattle, US...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

Thanks!

5. Re: Which ski slopes are best in Chamonix for Intermediates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 15, 2009