We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer honeymoon in French Alps

Boston
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Summer honeymoon in French Alps

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon, and we want to spend 3 days hiking and doing other outdoor activities in the French Alps. We don't want to end up at a "deserted" ski town that is dead in the summer. We are looking for good food and nice accomodations, but mostly we want to find a spot where we can spend time outdoors. Any suggestions?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

Our French friends head to Grenoble in the summer--that might be a possibility for you.

Mentioned in this post
Grenoble
Grenoble
Isere, France
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

Take a look at Annecy or Chamonix, either of which may suit you — along with a few others. Both are year round places with plenty of hotels and restaurants. Chamonix is the more "Alpine" of the two, overlooked by the Mont Blanc massif, Annecy is a charming town on the shores of a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains

Grenoble is a pretty big city of close to 200,000 inhabitants and not exactly my idea of a place to go rambling in the mountains or by a lake.

Mentioned in this post
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Mont Blanc
Mont Blanc
1,261 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Grenoble
Grenoble
Isere, France
geneva
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

I agree with Irishrover, rule out Granoble. May i suggest Megeve in the Haute Savoie. It is about 20 mns from Chamonix, you can fly into Geneva and drive 45 mns on a highway to get there and it is definitely the most charming village in the area. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Megeve
Megeve
Haute-Savoie, France
Haute-Savoie
Haute-Savoie
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Toulouse
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

Hello,

I know a beautiful place in the Alps (Chamonix Mont-Blanc) : Les Chalets de Philippe.

This is a hamlet of authentics chalets with a great view on the Mont-Blanc and near the forest.

The link : www.chaletsphilippe.com

Max (Toulouse)

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Les Chalets de Philippe
Les Chalets de Philippe
417 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Toulouse
Toulouse
Haute-Garonne, France
Toulouse
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

Hello,

I know a beautiful place in the Alps (Chamonix Mont-Blanc) : Les Chalets de Philippe.

This is a hamlet of authentics chalets with a great view on the Mont-Blanc and near the forest.

The link : www.chaletsphilippe.com

Max (Toulouse)

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Les Chalets de Philippe
Les Chalets de Philippe
417 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Toulouse
Toulouse
Haute-Garonne, France
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
149 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

I also vote for Chamonix. Just got back from a 3 week tour around France in September and that is my husband's and my favorite place. We are very outdoorsy and found it suited us well. Many things to do, shop, hike thru the mountains, paraglide (definetly should do that-best place in the world to try it). We stayed at a cute place called Hotel L'Arve. Great for the money and close to the city center. Within walking distance to everything. Enjoy and congrats!

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
France
France
Europe
Chislehurst, Kent
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

Would definitely recommend Megeve - busy in July and August with its famous music and arts festival, and a few of the telecabines will take you up to the top of the mountains at around 1800m. We have spent a lot of time in the town and if you like the outdoors its perfect with lots of al fresco dining in many of the town's fantastic restaurants. Wouldnt go too early though - I think June is too quiet. We stay in rented apartments through Boan agency in Megeve

Mentioned in this post
Megeve
Megeve
Haute-Savoie, France
8. Re: Summer honeymoon in French Alps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 12, 2009