We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiers.

Exeter, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
First time skiers.

Hi

I've booked a 4 day break to chamonix flying into Geneva on the 3rd of March staying at Hotel Les Aiglons Resort Spa. My husband has always wanted to try skiing so this was his Christmas present.

I've sorted a shared transport through the hotel, I think we have brought the clothes we need, and we've booked a couple of dry ski slope lessons to help us a little before hand!

Can anyone offer advice on pre booking some private ski lessons when we arrive? I've no idea how to start? I assume we can hire skis and boots? What should we do about lift passes?

I'm conscious we need to make the most of our limited time there meaning we really only have 2 full days to ski.... But I've no idea how to get started!

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Katie

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time skiers.

Your hotel is not near any beginner slopes but here are ski rental shops close by they all charge much the same and as beginners you only need basic kit.

You will probably need a 2 day Cham Le Pass

http://www.chamonix.com/skipasses,25,en.html

I think the nearest beginner slopes are Le Savoy about but ideally I would use the ones a tLe Tour - La Vormaine.

Ski schools all will provide private tuition and you should insist on an English speaker, if you go for private tuition you will be paying a substantial amount so get somebody you can understand.

chamonix.com/ski-schools,32-3106-1,en.html

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time skiers.

chamonix.net/english/…instructors

Exeter, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time skiers.

Thank you! Do you think private tuition is worth it or would we do as well to book in a group?

When you say they are no beginner slopes nearby how far away are those 2 slopes you name from our hotel? Walking distance?

Should we pre buy the ski pass or get it there?

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time skiers.

The only ones within "walking distance" are Savoy, but this would be at least 20 mins. in ski boots etc. Not pleasant.

Your hotel is next to the main bus stops and you can get a bus anywhere in the valley, be aware the valley is about 12miles long.

If you were to ski at La Vormaine, this is where I would go, and you can buy a daily lift pass for , approx., €16 each.

If you are good enough you could then buy a day pass for Le Tour, this is the best area for beginners.

lavormaine.com/index.php/en/prices-opening-h…

As mentioned, you really need to take a FREE bus wherever you go for La V. or Le Tour (same place ) you need the Nbr 1 or 12.

For Savoy the nbr 14.

http://www.chamonix.com/pdf/chambus.pdf

Private or a class, I cannot really recommend one or the other as it all depends on if you can ski a bit or not.

Private is , obviously, dedicated and therefore a bit more intense, probably you will progress faster. But expensive.

A class; cheaper but you will be at the mercy of the worst pupil. There is a rule of maximum 8 people per class. This does seem to be adhered to.

So, I would price the options and take your choice.

Exeter, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time skiers.

Thanks for coming back to me, really helpful advice!

Let's hope I can stay on my feet!

Katie

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time skiers.

My partner and I went skiing for the first time for New Year, we had a private ski lesson on Le Savoy, but much preferred Le Prairion in Les Houches. We had the Cham unlimited ski pass which entitles you to ski in both areas. As for falling over, I didn't that much ( maybe 6 times) its great skiing and we have now booked an apartment in Chamonix for next January, cant wait!!!!! Hired out skis/boots the first time, but now have bought our kit, the boots are much better than the rental ones, and so are the ski's ( unless we were just unlucky) you will have a great time anyway. :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time skiers.

Sorry Katie, forgot to mention our private lesson was with British professional freeskier Chris Fecher, www.tinderbox.com.

8. Re: First time skiers.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2015