We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

Just looking for some advice. We are looking to go skiing in Chamonix February half term with another family. Out of all of us, only one person has been skiing before. There will be 4 adults and 4 children aged 4, 5 and two 6 year olds. Where would be the best area and place to stay (would be nice to get some adult time together in the evenings). Is it best to book everything as a package?Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

I would book a package for the simple reason you will, probably, need some good advise as to where to go for equipment hire, ski school, what lift passes to buy, where to eat (I assume you are not going to Club Med), what insurance is needed and where is best for your kids.

Getting a package in Chamonix is most likely going to be a catered chalet holiday or self catering.

For your kids I would recommend Panda Club in Argentiere, they do pick up in Chamonix or you drop them off in Argentiere. This is run by Evolution 2 who also do adult lessons.

As most of you are complete beginners you will need ski school there are loads of them some better than others.

I think it is fair to say for complete first timers I would not recommend Chamonix I think I would head to Austria where they do cater more readily for beginners.

Chamonix does have great nursery slopes and tuition but it is not the most user friendly of resort(s).

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Argentiere
Argentiere
Chamonix, France
Austria
Austria
Europe
Chamonix
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

Austria instead of Chamonix is a bit OTT. Morzine or St Gervais are nearby options within an hour of Chamonix if you want to do a day there, that are fine for beginners and still in the French alps. If you do a package you are going to end up with something like TUI-Thompson running it. I think considering the ages of the kids you have, if you have the money do that to save yourselves the hassle of self-organising something you do not really know anything about yet. If you like it then you can organise your own trips more easily in future. You can also look at BASS Chamonix or BASS Morzine, though they are popular and fill up for February quickly. They do week long progression courses.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Morzine
Morzine
Portes du Soleil, France
Chamonix
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

PS if your heart is set on Chamonix then I would either book a place on the nursery slope below the Brèvent (an area called the Savoy) or at either Les Houches or Le Tour as those are the main beginner's areas in town. The skiing in Chamonix is spread over several hills in different towns (part of the same valley) that are disconnected by lifts so you take buses or trains to them. Le Tour is at the far end of the valley on one side (it is 20 minutes up the valley) - and quiet, so get a catered chalet if you go there, while in Chamonix center there are plenty of stores to walk to if you want self-catered. Les Houches is a long stretched out town meaning you could have to drive to shop, unless your place happens to be next to the super market. It is at the other end of the valley from Le Tour.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

Thanks so much. Going on people's advice, maybe Chamonix isn't the best for us.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
5. Re: Family Skiing in Feb Half Term - Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 25, 2014