We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather or not?!

Save Topic
Weather or not?!

Hi I'm planning on camping in Chamonix for 10-14 days starting mid June with my family and my child is 7 month old. Any advice on weather during day & night at that time of year. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Weather or not?!

Some of my favourite lower walks: Le chapeau and Le lavancher, petit balcons, valley circuit including paradis des praz, chalet floria, lac vert...these will all be clear

Edited: 1:08 pm, May 29, 2013
Madrid
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Weather or not?!

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll start a new one.

Nevertheles grand balcon trails are not "high altitude trails"... I've read that they are quite easy and there are hordes of people in summer

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Weather or not?!

The balcons are not that high, but the Grand Balcon Nord is north facing, and often retains snow in some big couloirs into July.

Lac Blanc is a pretty high altitude walk (2350m). It's not difficult, but again, it's often snowy into July.

They're not at all technical when there's no snow, and indeed have hordes of people. But steep neve in a couloir *can* render them dangerous.

Mentioned in this post
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
389 Reviews
Chamonix, France
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Weather or not?!

Incidentally I walked part of the Grand Balcon Sud yesterday. There were substantial patches of névé but not at any dangerous points on the stretch that I did. Brevent is still very thick as might be expected but it's certainly passable. I would imagine that most of the Sud will be walkable without problems in a week or so, but it is certainly visibly behind the state that you would expect.

I doubt the Nord will be clear before the beginning of July though. It's very thick with snow still.

Madrid
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Weather or not?!

Thanks for the update! I'll arrive to Chamonix on Saturday, and I'll keep reading this post until May 22.

BTW, I've been searching info about Le Chapeau hike... is it a refuge, a mountain or both?

Also, what do you think about walking to Glacier de Argentier Point de Vue? The lift is closed until July... is it worth it? Or maybe it's a better idea to visit Bossons Glacier?

Edited: 8:00 am, June 11, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Weather or not?!

Le Chapeau is above Le Lavancher - you can drive to Le Lavancher, or I prefer to walk from the valley floor via the Source d'Arveyron - a lovely lookout point. You'll see them both signed, and it's marked on all the maps. There's a cafe, though I'm not sure when it opens. The guy who runs it is really nice. Past the cafe is a lookout point over the end of the Mer de Glace and the Grands Jorasses etc. It's just an out and back walk, not a loop, but it's very pretty and not too tough (maybe an hour or so to get there, depending on your speed. Less to get back)

I would ask at the Maison du Montagne about the state of the Bossons & Point de Vue. They are both lovely.

Normally you can do a really good big day's walk by connecting Le Chapeau with the Point de Vue via Prapator and Lognan (well signed) but looking over at them on Sunday, I think they may still be difficult. It looked like you could almost still ski to Lognan!

Also to consider - walking down from the Point du Vue isn't great. I usually do it on a mountain bike if the lifts aren't running. Look for the small path on the map if you do it, avoid the switchbacks down the ski run.

Edited: 10:57 am, June 11, 2013
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Weather or not?!

Cross posting this page to a couple of threads as it seems useful - scroll to the bottom for categories.

chamonet.com/activities/walking/routes.html

Madrid
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Weather or not?!

Thanks!! Finally I've found Le Chapeau on my map :-)

The weather looks pretty good today, and according to the webcams the snow is melting quite fast!!

There's no webcam for Grand Balncon Nord... it's still snow packed, right?

Edited: 10:57 am, June 13, 2013
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Weather or not?!

You can normally see it from this one, but it's not working at the moment

chamonix.net/english/…chamargentiere.htm

Yes, the Nord would be most inadvisable, I think, if not impossible. Very snowy and liable to slippage.

Incidentally, something that I've never seen before this year are long cracks running *along* the paths. It looks like the enormous weight of snow has begun to split part of them away. I imagine this will be repaired soon, as they are generally well maintained, but another reason to be cautious where the path's invisible under snow.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Weather or not?!

Just for reference, here's a pic of what I mean about snow in couloirs. This is on the Lac Blanc walk. You can see from the date that this is late June. The névé here looks like it's not in a dangerous place, but if you get this kind of conditions in a steep gully, the danger is obvious.

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 9:05 am, June 14, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lac Blanc
Lac Blanc
389 Reviews
Chamonix, France