We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ski pass??

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which ski pass??

I will be in Chamonix from Dec 28th to 2nd Jan this year,( but staying in Les Houches) as I have never been on ski's before my partner and I decided it would be a good time to have a go, just for a day!! I have been in contact with a reputable company that offers private ski lessons and its 38 euros for the hour. I am a bit confused as to which ski pass to purchase, and how it all works. As we wanted to visit the ice caves on the train, and do the Auiguille du midi cable car trip I thought that the Cham Unlimited was the best option. Does this pass cover both these activites? Also, is there any advantage in buying the passes online and if so, when do they become available as the website only goes up to May this year.

When you have the pass, do you have to show it to someone before you can ride on a ski lift?? I am totally clueless about all aspects, please- all of you experienced skiiers out there HELP!!!! LOL.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ski pass??

The Mont Blanc Unlimited pass covers you for all lifts in the valley, including the Aiguille du Midi and Montenvers train (for the ice cave). It also covers Les Houches too.

Chamonix Le Pass is cheaper but doesn't include; Aiguille du Midi, Montenvers, Les Houches, top lift at Grands Montets, Courmayeur and Verbier.

You don't have to show your pass to a physical person, it is has a microchip installed so you just wave it front of a reader and the barriers open automatically for you. The microchip can be read through clothing so you can just keep it inside a pocket (preferably on your left hand side) and rub that against the reader.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ski pass??

Thank you the information you have given has been very helpful. The jacket I bought has a zip on the bottom of the left sleeve so I guess that is where your ski pass should be. Sorry I am totally clueless about any of this as its my first time.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ski pass??

IF you are only skiing for ONE day though, you are never going to make it over the whole area, even with the best will in the world, especially if you have never skiid before and including the fact that you have to get there from Les Houches...

It is probable that there is a beginner pass in the resort.

What have your reputable private lesson co. suggested you do? Have you asked them?

Edited: 8:30 pm, April 02, 2013
reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ski pass??

If you are staying in Les Houches I would check the day rate passes for Les Houches only

leshouches.com/img/contenu/2_lien/279_en.pdf

As the previous poster said you will not be skiing anywhere but the nursery slopes. There might be a reduction just for these but I do not know for definite.

If you want to go up the Aguile du Midi for a look around then that would be the only reason to buy a Mont Blanc Unlimited. As this lift can be closed for days on end in early winter, due the weather, I would check out the weather forecast before committing the cash.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ski pass??

Yes I will certainly take on board what you have suggested, the reason that I thought that the Cham unlimited was the best option was because we wanted to do the train to the ice caves and the cable car to the Aguile du Midi, I know that one day skiing is really not enough, but it was just something to try while we are there, I would have liked it to be 3 days, but our trip is very short on this occasion.. I would not have booked the cable car until I was there as I understand the weather can be unpredictable . Your comments have been very helpful though, and certainly food for thought.

6. Re: Which ski pass??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2014