We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Hello! I was searching this forum, but found different answers. Would really appreciate advice from experienced travellers!

We are planning a small ski trip on 27 April - 4 May and planned to stay in Chamonix. This is the first time for all of us there. I know that resort is open till May8th, so we should be on the safe side. But not everuthing will be working, I guess. We'll have beginners in our group. is it worth going this time of the year? Or only red slopes will be open?

Thanks in advance!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

The only area open at that time of year in the Chamonix valley will be Grands Montets. It is guaranteed to be open until the 29th of April. After that it is provisionally open until the 12th of May depending on snow conditions. Not all of the ruins will be open either. It is not the easiest area to ski with a lot of reds and difficult blues. See the piste maps for yourself here: http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr

The other ski areas in the valley are closing on the 21st of April this year so you will miss them.

Opening times:

compagniedumontblanc.fr/Marketing/horaires/H…

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

I wouldn't think so...

I'd go for somewhere like Tignes maybe? There really isn't anywhere in Chamonix suitable for beginners at that time of year.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Thanks a lot! Very usefull advices and just on time.

Tignes,, let me see..

Any other places to go end of April - beginning of May? Lovely and not to difficult..

Tjanks!!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Zermatt

LGM is not good for beginners

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Zermatt sounds a bit pricey and our guys want to taste France (food I guess))...

Is it only Tignes recommended in April-May in France for beginner ski-ers?

Thanks for all replies!!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

You could try Alpe d'Huez or Les Duex Alpes they have a glacier but i do not know the closing dates.

But to repeat LGM , at that time of year is not really suitable for beginners but it will be quiet.

There is only one lift for absolute beginners and the run off is quite steep back to the lift.

If they can snowplough then they would be OK.

Not sure if you could get a ski instructor then, I would imagine you would.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Great! I'm getting some choices..

What would you say about Val Thorens? They say it is open till early May

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

Probably best to try their forum but Val Thorens is a high , purpose built resort linked to the 3 Valleys.

Courcheval etc

9. Re: Woth going on 27Apr-4May with beginners?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 21, 2014