We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aiguille du midi

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Aiguille du midi

Hi All,

May I check, is it worth to go Aiguille du midi cable car during winter time, January? I check the return ticket is euro50.

It also mention at 3777m , there is a 360deg view , however it is closed from September onward, is it true?

Is there restaurant on top?

Is it additional ticket if want to see the Glacier du geant?

If I buy the euro50 ticket, can i stop at plan de l'aiguille for food, then continue go up to top?

Is there any show shoeing activity around chamonix train station area? or is there any recommendations route for beginner?

Is there any lunggage locker at chamonix SNCF station?

Thanks,

Wymond

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aiguille du midi

Any time you go up a mountain, there is the risk of fog or bad weather spoiling the view, winter and summer. I suggest you go to the library and look at any year's "Rick Steves France". This lift has always been a favorite of his, and his hints don't go out of date with time, if you see what I mean. He also likes Chamonix. I personally wouldn't go to a ski resort in the winter unless I wanted to ski.

Talloires, France
Level Contributor
358 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aiguille du midi

You can see the webcam at the ticket office on the day so you can see what the weather is doing up there before buying your tickets.

In my personal opinion the views are a lot better in the summer. You can also see some images here on the live webcams: http://www.chamonet.com/chamonix/webcams.html

There won't be any snow shoeing right from the train station as that is in the middle of town.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aiguille du midi

If the lift is open, it should be depending on the weather, then it is definately worth it.

However, you should check the weather forecast the day before you intend taking the trip. The forecasts are very accurate over 48 hours.

Re the cost you might want to buy a one day Mont Blanc Unlimited pass as this includes every lift in the valley, including Montenvers, see my reply to your other question.

You could then go up to the Brevente peak and/ot time permitting Les Grand Montets top cable car. In my opinion the view from Les Grand Montets is better than from the Aguile du Midi, but for a once in a lifetime visit do the AduM !

Snowshoing is normally done outside the town centre there are various companies who organise the walks etc. I think I would contact your hotel and ask them to arrange it or suggest a company who can.

A lot of info. can be researched on www.chamonix.com and www.chamonix.net.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aiguille du midi

I also take a daily photo of the weather outside my window in Chamonix. I take it towards the Dru so the weather will be similar-ish to that of the Aiuguille du Midi. Have a look on the day that you intend to go up:

biarritzairporttransfers.com/Geneva-to-Chamo…

Snowshoeing is great fun. As redzed has said, there are walks produced by the tourist information in Chamonix. They vary in difficulty etc:

www.chamonix.com/pdf/topo-raquette-sivom.pdf

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aiguille du midi

Not seen a mountain for nearly 2 weeks in Argentiere !!!

OK................... yesterday was great

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aiguille du midi

Yes! Yesterday was excellent. Can't wait for the other ski areas to open.

7. Re: Aiguille du midi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 22, 2013