We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in the Alps recommendation needed!

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
85 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
New Years in the Alps recommendation needed!

We're a family of five (adults and teens) planning a ski trip to the Alps after Christmas. I have been doing some research but didn't decide which resort would be best for us.

I would really like some advice on deciding between Chamonix, Megeve, Courcheval... Basically we would like to experience a true Alp ambience, in a Chalet type hotel, fireplace, wood furniture, ski school, beautiful snowy landscapes..

I understand there are trendier resorts where nightlife is the big thing after ski hours, but we were looking for a more relaxed family oriented type, with lots of outdoor activities to choose from, and good restaurants nearby.

Since the easiest way to reach the Alps would be through Geneva, we also considered Zermatt as an option.

Staying at any particular resort, would it be possible to use it as a base point and travel to other towns?? In this case by car if we decide to rent..

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

Vsilva.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in the Alps recommendation needed!

I loved Zermatt. We went with our teenage son last Christmas and loved the atmosphere, restaurants, the skiing. The hotel was half board and they had a special gala christmas dinner and I believe they do a similar gala for New Years Even. the town is charming and walkable. Travelling from town to town is more time consuming than it looks, I loved waking up, having breakfast and on the lift early. My recommendation is to stay in one village and enjoy the all there is to offer. This year we will be in Argentiere because we want to avoid the crowds of Chamonix, but I expect it will be relaxing and comfortable -- not to mention much more reasonably priced. I prefer half board, but most hotels do not offer that option in the Chamonix area. I guess we will explore.

2. Re: New Years in the Alps recommendation needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 04, 2013