We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

We are a family that would like to travel from Chamonix to Nice or Saint Tropez by a rented car in August. I need an advise from an experienced person who drove the following routes:

1- Chamonix to Nice or Monaco

2- Chamonix to Saint Tropez

Knowing that Google and Viamichelin websites are my best route planner. Additionally I know about Napoleon route and the quick route from Chamonix to Nice.

My question is: Which scenic route shall I take number 1 or 2 and why?

Thanks a lot,

Michel

1. Re: From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:44 pm, November 23, 2015
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

And as I said before (in the previous post), adequate information has been given. Perhaps the OP would like to do some of his own research?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

Diz and Biarritz had provided me with very useful information, in my previous forum, that I really appreciate. In fact, we travel to many coutries every year. We have made more than 30 countries up to now. Every trip involves many places. My knowledge and experience taught me to ask, especially people like you, Diz and Biarritz. This August we are going to drive, God willing, from Frankfurt to Prague then we continue driving towards the Cote D'azur. It's a long journey (17 nights in 13 hotels) I have made hundred of hours of research but what remains is the trip from Chamonix to Cote D'azur. Your previous replies were about the route from Chamonix to Nice. Since we are planning to visit Saint Tropez, I found on Google Earth that the route from Chamonix to Saint Tropez is very scenic. We are planning to sleep one night on our way. My question is which route do you suggest us to take and why:

1- Chamonix to Nice or Monaco

2- Chamonix to Saint Tropez

Many thanks to all of you and I am ready to share my experience in the places I visited at any time.

Michel Nohra

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

Michel, if by the "scenic" route you mean the one recommended on viamichelin which goes via the col du p'tit st.bernard, val d'isere, digne etc, that will take forever (10.5h not counting stops) and will be winding mountain roads all the way. Great if you were planning a rally, not so good if you actually want to see something other than through a car window. The sensible route to Nice and St.Tropez, which is certainly scenic in parts, is the route through Italy via the Mont Blanc tunnel, passing east of Torino, heading for Genova and then along the coast.

5. Re: From Chamonix to Cote D'azur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 22, 2013