We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in early May

Houston, Texas...
5 posts
Save Topic
Skiing in early May

I am planning to do a bit of skiing from May 4-6. I will be in Geneva on the 3rd. I was thinking about heading to Zermatt and skiing there. Seems like most of the mountain is closing but Cervinia is open through the 6th. Would it be better to just ski what's open in Zermatt? I'm an expert/advanced skier. Would it be fairly straight-forward to arrive in Zermatt, ski over to Cervinia and sleep in Cervinia? Or should I just take the train around if that's possible.

Another option would be to just go to Chamonix which is open till the 8th.

The main purpose of this post is to gain information about where the best place to ski during these days in terms of snow and terrain open.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or tips. Thanks in advance.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in early May

Not sure about Zermatt/Cervinia not been there for 20 odd years but from memory I don't think it is practical to stay in one and ski the other.

Chamonix is open until 8th May and has loads of snow but only Les Grands Montets is open. It is closed today due high winds.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in early May

I think you can, actually - I'm sure some friends of mine did it recently. Might be worth checking in the Zermatt forum to see if you can still do it. What about your luggage though, can you get everything in a backpack and ski with it?

Grands Montets, as redzed says, is in amazing shape at the moment and if you are an advanced skier you'll probably get more out of GM than Zermatt (IMO) if conditions are equal.

I would leave it until the absolute last minute to make the decision as the weather is so changeable at the moment.

3. Re: Skiing in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, June 18, 2013