We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

Melbourne, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
35 helpful votes
Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

Can anyone suggest any veggie / vegan restaurants in the following locations please:

Chamonix

Les Contamines

Courmayeur

La Fouly

Champex

Argentiere

Also any advice from veggies / vegan who have stayed at the following. Will I be hungry, or will there be a veggie option:

Refuge Bonhomme

Rifugio Elisabetta

Rifugio Bonatti

Relais du Mont Blanc (auberge), Trient

Refuge de La Flegere

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
500 reviews
285 helpful votes
1. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

I can only comment on Chamonix. There are no solely vegetarian/vegan restaurants but there are some places which have more choices than others.

All of the restaurants listed below have been reviewed on Trip Advisor so navigate to the Chamonix restaurants page to see reviews for all of them.

Alan Peru seems to have the most options (and some vegan too):

http://alanperuchamonix.com/

Also try Papillon. It's not a restaurant but a healthy take-away:

http://papillonchamonix.com/

Satsuki is a Japanese restaurant that does tofu with noodle type dishes:

http://www.satsuki.eu/

And for a one-off meal try Munchie, They usually have more than one veggie starter and one veggie main:

http://www.munchie.eu/

Every other restaurant in Chamonix will probably offer a veggie option but it will more than likely involve nothing more than cheese and more cheese.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

Josie

This is semi-rural France. The French do not really understand the concept of vegetarianism. They are hospitible though and do provide non-meat options on menus.

Vegan have my sympathy as they are going to get bored with the restaurant offerings and probably lose weight. (Joke)

If you are a vegan your French will have to be good or better go self catering.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
500 reviews
285 helpful votes
3. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

With regards to vegetarianism at the refuges, have a look at these threads from other forums:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

forum.walkingthetmb.com/viewtopic.html…

I've asked a friend who has done the TMB and am waiting for his response now.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

I'm a vegetarian and have always been surprised by how accomodating the huts are. I've never done the TMB but have done the Haute Route and quite a lot of Alpine routes that have needed overnight hut stays - never had any problems and the food has been lovely. Italian and French huts are best for veggies I've found, but the swiss ones always have something. You need to let them know when you arrive, and ideally when you book.

From your list, I've stayed at the Elisabetta, Bonatti and Trient refuges, and eaten at the Flegere, no problems at all.

chamonixchalet.info/features/…

has info on Chamonix restaurants.

I think vegans might find things harder in the huts - you might want to consider bringing your own food. However, if you call ahead and give them plenty of notice you'll probably find them very helpful. I have met several people in the huts on special diets (eg gluten free), and they were having no problems - I am pretty sure they had ordered in advance though. Hope this helps! Post back and let me know how you get on as I'm always interested to hear of good veggie places.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

Also, for really good veggie food, if you are anywhere near Plateau d'Assy, this place is wonderful

http://www.jardindescimes.com/

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
500 reviews
285 helpful votes
6. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

My friend said 'he was quite sure' they did veggie food in the huts.

Like firebug said, call ahead.

Melbourne, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
35 helpful votes
7. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

Thank you for all the quick replies. Any further recommendations are welcome as we’re not going for another couple of weeks yet!

France
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

I always ask when I book. And if they say no, try suggesting tartiflette (potatoes, cheese and lardons) but without the bacon. They can usually manage that.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
80 reviews
80 helpful votes
9. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

stayed at Refuge La Flegere last week their vegetarian option was salad starter, followed by tartiflette (less the lardons) with more salad followed by dessert

Hotel Edelweiss in La Fouly asked when we arrived if were vegetarian but not being vegetarian not sure what would have been offered

Argentiere, Courmayeur and Chamonix has a good range of restaurants so vegetarian shouldn't be a problem - vegan might be more of a challenge as the Alps rely heavily on cheese

hope this helps

10. Re: Vegetarian / vegan eateries on TMB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 06, 2012