We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the name of the bar?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What is the name of the bar?

I went to Chamonix in 1999 and remember getting to the uppermost part of the French side only to walk through a door to a "pub" (restaurant/bar) and was now in Italy (they took Lira at the time!) Does anybody know if that still exists and what the name would be?

Thanks,

Nancy.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the name of the bar?

It sounds like you're thinking of the Rifugio Torino, though it's not through a door. You go up the Aiguille du Midi, and then take the Hellbronner panoramic cable car - this stops at the Rifugio Torino in Italy. I guess maybe hte door into it is theoretically the border though?!

It's a lovely journey anyway, great views.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the name of the bar?

Yes, that has to be it. How many other buildings are on the mountain? (She says sarcastically.) And, yes, you do have to get there (from Chamonix) through a system of a train, cable cars, dangling things, but once you get off and go through their door, it's ITALY! I sat in the corner window, and if you remember the TV show "Bewitched", I felt like Endora sitting above the clouds. Once the cloud passed I could look down into an Italian town - must have been Courmayeur - since that seems to be the only town in the area. What an amazing memory!

3. Re: What is the name of the bar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 04, 2011