We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

cricieth
1 post
how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

I'm planning a holiday in Chamonix over the festive period, and was wondering if it a sure thing that there will be enough snow there? Thanks a lot

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

Most years the skiing is good, Ie. sufficient snow. The odd year , about one in ten, is iffy.

They have installed loads of snow makers so skiing is guarenteed but it is what it is , I am afraid.

This sounds very pessimistic it is not meant to be as I have skied every year , since 1990, at New Year or there abouts and I can only remember one bad one.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

The average snow depth for 3rd-4th week in December since 1993 is in the region of 25cm lower slopes and 130 cm upper slopes.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

Just to sound more positive I was skiing there last December 13th and they opened all the lifts , except the top cable car, on Les Grand Montets.

Had a great day.

One thing to remember is the vast majority of the skiing is above the tree line and with the exception of La Tour is not on meadow land and needs a little more snow depth.

I generally work on a mid-station depth of 80cm and a top station (Eg Bouchard) of 1.5metres and it is good skiing and you can go most places.

Above those depths it just get better and better.

At La Tour you can get away with a lot less but La Tour has the reputation of being the parish with the highest accumulation of snow in France.

I am not refering to the purpose built resorts as I know they get more but they are a lot higher so don't want to get into a debate about that.

All in all you will have a great time.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

We've been the last two Christmases and the Skiing's been great, apart from a white-out Christmas day 2009, going again this year and so far it's looking good.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
697 posts
145 reviews
5. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

We're heading there for the first time, for a week on 22nd Dec, so thanks for the positive feedback - hope we don't jinx the place by bringing mild weather with us

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
697 posts
145 reviews
6. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

PS. we had an email from the guy at the restaurant we'd just booked at table at last night and he said its been snowing already - good news!!

7. Re: how much snow to expect in Chamonix over christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, May 19, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Chamonix
Recent Conversations