We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginners Skiing in Chamonix

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beginners Skiing in Chamonix

I have heard varying reports regarding skiing for beginners in Chamonix. Is this an OK resort for new skiers or snowboarders. We're flying into Geneva and are open as to where we go after that

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginners Skiing in Chamonix

There was a kiddie area there but it looked small. Les Planards? or something like that. My husband is an expert and I went shopping whilst he hit the slopes. I'm planning to ski this next time we go. The lifts were spread apart. He went up something I wasn't going to go up so I walked down to town (without ski boots) to shop.

I liked Gstaad beginner slopes. They had great pull tows and a cute bunny hill. It's about 2 hours from Genvea. It's where I learned to ski. The hotels can be expensive there. Also many ski places want you to stay a week. We drove up to Les Dilabloes/Glacier 2000 on the way to Gstaad. Wow! Incredible. We had to drive back to Geneve at night and it was a nightmare on these roads. You can take another route and ask a local person for suggestions. I'd also recommend looking at 4 wheel drive or chains (just in case). The roads were clear but with ice. The snow was higher up than the top of the car. I didn't see snow like this in Chamonix, France. Also Gstaad is a bit more quaint as the chalets are so cute with snow on top.

There is a skating rink in Chamonix and you should be able to find tour information for Geneva (www.viator.com) I've taken the tour from Geneva to Chamonix to see Mont Blanc.