We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Wedding In Chamonix

Minneapolis...
7 posts
Save Topic
July Wedding In Chamonix

I'm from the Midwest in the USA and have been invited to a wedding, July 4th, in Chamonix. Any suggestions as to what to wear? The wedding is in a church and the reception later is in the restaurant of the hotel, Mont Blanc. Also, what suggestions might you have for other sights and activities as we are staying a few extra days. My husband and I are professional photographers who have recently started our own business and do mostly landscape photography. In addition, what suggestions are there for transportation back and forth between the Geneva airport and Chamonix? Have read some bad reviews of two of the shuttle services. We will need to travel into Geneva the afternoon before the day we leave Geneva as our flight out leaves early. Any suggestions for a good hotel near the airport? I'm very appreciative of any and all responses.

1. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:37 pm, October 29, 2015
Minneapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate your time and your ideas.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

How lovely, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! I would dress as you normally would for a wedding, but bear in mind that, though July is normally lovely and sunny, you can get literally any sort of weather in Chamonix. So I would go for something that you can wear some layers over in case it is cold or wet (unlikely, but you never know) e.g. a dress and hat with a light wool wrap/cardigan that can be easily stashed in a bag, with a scarf and small collapsible umbrella if the forecast on the day suggests it. The Chamonix weather forecast is very accurate so check it before you leave for the big day!

http://chamonix-meteo.com/cham/en/

or it is posted up in lots of places e.g. the tourist office

Also bear in mind that you may well be walking on grass/cobbles so very light strappy sandals/very thin stilettoes might not be suitable.

The Mont Blanc hotel is lovely and quite smart, though like most of Chamonix it's relaxed in style rather than formal, so again, just whatever you'd normally wear for a reception.

Las time I went to a wedding in Chamonix it was October and the weather was glorious, so hopefully you'll have the same.

If you're interested in landscape photography I should think you'll have a field day, as it's a really stunning time to visit. When you go to Montenvers, be sure to do some walks from there - even a short hike (e.g. to Forbes Signal) will take you into the most spectacular views.

flickr.com/photos/…

You can also walk the Grand Balcon Nord from Montenvers to the Plan de l'Aiguille with Mont Blanc in front of you.

Don't miss the Aiguille Du Midi - pick a nice day and try to get up on an early one for the best light - the highest cable car in Europe with unbelievable views over the Alps.

Other "greatest hits" hikes would be up to Chalet Floria, Lac Blanc, the Grand Balcon Sud (all from from Les Praz)

les-praz-de-chamonix.com/eating-drinking/…

les-praz-de-chamonix.com/things-to-do/…

Here's a set of landscapes to show you what it's like...

flickr.com/photos/…

The shuttle services get a bad press, and I have had bad experiences myself. Nevertheless, they do move thousands of people every year with no trouble and are the best way to get there.

Tips:

- Book well in advance. They are lousy at last minute stuff, they're not really set up that way.

- Make sure you speak or receive an email from an actual person. Don't rely on automated emails.

- Avoid the very cheap ones if you can. I use Cham-van whenever possible as I have always found them to be reliable. Or http://www.chamonix-valley-transfers.com/ who will look for a transfer for you, also good

- It's good to have a backup plan. Check the bus times (www.altibus.com) and the train (www.sbb.ch) so that if the worst comes to the worst, you have them as an option.

- Re-confirm your shuttle the day before you travel.

- Don't worry too much! As I said, 99.9 % of the time, the system works fine. People are rightly very vocal when it goes wrong, but it's quite rare.

Good advice above about Geneva - The only thing I'd add is that an evening cruise on the lake would be a great way to finish your holiday. I think they do dinner cruises, too.

www.geneve-tourisme.ch/…

Minneapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

Great suggestions! I love the idea of the cruise on the lake. I'll look into all of the other ideas you proposed. I've read other posts of yours and you certainly are very knowledgeable about travel. Lucky you!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
35 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

I am going to Chamonix this summer also. You may want to check out chamexpress.com. Also, I booked the Ramada Inn near Geneva Airport. I hate to suggest a Ramada in Switzerland, but it is reasonably priced and is very near the airport.

Minneapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

Thank you for your two suggestions! I'll follow up on both the shuttle and the Ramada. Do you know if the Ramada has a shuttle van to the airport or does one take the train? I need to do more research on that part of our trip.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

Thanks! let us know how it goes :)

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

By the way, if it was a scottish wedding with a bagpiper outside the church in Les Praz, I saw you! :)

9. Re: July Wedding In Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 02, 2010