We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

Fulton, New York
Level Contributor
244 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

I know there is free transportation in and around the Chamonix area, but I'm reading conflicting reports about frequency during the summer. We are planning our stay during mid June of next year, and are not yet set on our accommodations. If we stay further away, like in Servoz, are we going to want to have a car to get around? Or is it just wasted money?

We'll have 2 kids with us, so we'll be doing some morning hikes, etc., then look for other family friendly things in the afternoon. Looking at animal park, and the adventure park, and maybe a local pool? I also thought we might want to explore further out, would we need a car to get to Annecy for the day?

Just looking to weigh the options! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

jennalulu, You are going to be near many beautiful and interesting areas. Having a car may enhance your experience there.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

I would say yes. Mid june is one of my favourite times of year to be there, but it is low season and you'll find a lot of transport reduced. Especially if you want to get to Annecy, and even more so if you're staying in Servoz. Though you'll find accomodation pretty cheap everywhere at that time of year, and you could stay somewhere like Les Praz or Les Bois for a quieter village feel, but still be much closer to Chamonix.

If you're just planning on staying within the valley and walking, you can manage quite well without, but for what you want to do, in June, I definitely would.

3. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:13 pm, December 24, 2015
Fulton, New York
Level Contributor
244 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

Diz - I don't think you were making me worry, but I did notice a post recently that said the summer transport is usually reduced. Thanks for the info.

That being said, we're going to be heading to Chamonix from the Nice area, and are debating the logistics of driving to Chamonix vs. taking the train/flying. The train seems to be a long journey. The drive time on via michelin seems to be about 4 hours or so, just about as long as I would like to be driving on vacation!

I think I'm leaning towards a having a car to travel from Nice to Chamonix, then ditch it in Geneva to take the train to Paris. Has anyone driven this route that can comment? Seems like most routes go through Italy, which I'm sure would be beautiful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

You can go a few ways and they are all beautiful, thru the Alps, thru the south of France, thru Italy and tunnels, your choice, any way you want !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

We drove back from Menton on the coast up through part of Switzerland and on to Paris. You can see the route here

www.nickbooth.id.au/France08/Alps.html

and if you click on the buttons on the left you can see some of the scenery. It was a lovely drive though the French are not very good at putting safety railings on roads. The col de la Bonette was interesting, wide road, highest pass in Europe.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

If anyone has time, it's worth a visit to lynnb48's website (above). They've done a splendid job outlining their journey and posting photos.

8. Re: Do we NEED or want a car in Chamonix for 5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 13, 2009