We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

In January 2009, my husband, daughter and I are looking to travel from Nice to Chamonix then after skiing heading back to Paris.

What is the best way to get around?

My husband is wanting to hire a car... I want a quick trip from Chamonix to Paris so we can do some last minute sightseeing before getting ourselves to CDG for our flight home leaving at 21:00.

Please offer suggestions for efficient and economical travel.

Jenny

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

By the time you have changed trains 2 or 3 times you could probably have driven to Paris. Nice is about 4 hours away via Italy and the Mont Blanc tunnel.

Paris would be 6 hours drive.

Not sure about costs though.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

Thank you! My husband loves to drive... I just hope the weather will be kind and access won't be a problem - but I guess that is why we organise travel insurance!

Also,

Where is the best place then to hire skis and boots and poles as well as snowboards and boots?

Thanks

Jenny

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

Driving is fine, but, the TGV is also a great experience. Don't know about down under, but we have nothing like the TGV here in north america. The TGV hits 180+ mph, beautiful, and very SMOOTH. It's an odd sensation seeing the countryside go by so fast. It is smoother at 180 mph than Amtrak (the american passenger railway) at its typical speed of 60 mph. It's one train change from Chamonix to Paris (Gare Lyon). We left Chamonix at 8:39 am and arrived at Paris 2:33 pm. A lot easier sitting, eating, and drinking (good food and wine on the train) than driving. Total cost was 200 euros for my son an I in first class, but its MUCH cheaper in economy. It's also cheaper if you purchase onsite at the train station instead of online (not sure why that is).

Ski shop in Chamonix: Pro Ski Montagne - Chamonix

(www.proskimontagne.com)

This shop was great! No connections other than a satisfied customer. It's also the only real Rossignol shop in town.

Is this your first time in Chamonix? You must ski the vallee blanche, the greatest ski run in the world. My website needs updates from our most recent trip, but the info is still good - check it out:

moonbrookhill.com/vallee_blanche_mer_de_glac…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

Thank you - all great advice!

We've travelled the bullet trains in Japan and yes they are amazingly smooth. It might best best to leave the car for our last leg and travel from Chamonix to Paris by TGV.

My husband just doesn't want to miss out on cute villages along the way - but we do have a deadline for that particular leg.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

The drive from Paris to Chamonix is all on the Autoroutes so it's a bit low on cute villages unless you detour for them...

There is a direct train to Paris from St Gervais which is probably easier than changing in Lyon (St Gervais is very small, and only a 20 minute train ride to Chamonix). When we've had friends over from Paris, they've always come this way. It only runs in winter, so the times may not be available yet.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

Fyi - the train station in Paris for that 'direct' train to St.Gervais is called 'Gare Lyon'.

7. Re: Travel from Nice to Chamonix then to Paris...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 28, 2009