We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Chamonix

Singapore
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Topic
Skiing in Chamonix

My wife and I will be in Chamonix from 24 to 26 April 2008. I am wondering whether skiing and snowboarding are still available at that time. We have never done any of those before. About how much would it cost if we were to take a beginner lesson? And what do we need to bring along?

Thanks.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Chamonix

Yes - you can ski or board.

I think it will be on Les Grand Montets in Argentiere.

http://www.evolution2.com/cham/

They will do lessons.

Lift pass is 27 euros a day but there is an offer on for a 2 day pass for 28 euros.

You will need anoraks, salopets, decent gloves and sunglasses.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Chamonix

For the outright beginner - as in a 'never-ever' - snowboarding is easier than the two-planks.

I second the suggestion with Evo2; I use them for off-piste and are very reliable. Although argentiere has their own ski school too, iirc.

Singapore
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Chamonix

Thanks guys.

The courses seem to run like 4 days in a row, and they are not available every day of the week. How can we fit into our schedule as we are there only 2 or 3 days?

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Chamonix

If you post your request to the Evo2 folks, they'll get back to you with a proposal. If you've never dealt with a euro agency, it's back-and-forth emails with a proposal - so be patient and specific in your emailed request. Very different than dealing with most outfits in north america (looks like you're from Singapore?).

With a private instructor, they'll do anything you want. Even pick you up at your hotel. I've only used Evo2 for a private guide. The group lessons are less flexible.

For equipment, there are PLENTY of ski shops in the small town of Chamonix to choose from. Evo2 has their own shop but you don't need Ogier skis for first time skiing (too stiff and heavy). I suggest the Pro Rossignol shops, if you're staying in Chamonix.

Emsworth, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in Chamonix

We were last in Chamonix in February and had a great time. My wife took a lesson with BASS (British Alpine Ski and Snowboard) http://www.britishskischool.com/home_info. They do all kinds of lessons half day, whole day, you name it. My wife did a half day ski lesson, prior to this she did a few lessons on the local dry slopes. For a fresh beginner, I recommend skiing and at least a whole day lesson. Once at Chamonix, Le Tour is great for beginners as they have a few green runs for beginners. Chamonix's great, I'm trying to get a last trip in next week before season ends!

6. Re: Skiing in Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 25, 2009