We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Chamonix Itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Help with Chamonix Itinerary

Hi,

Planning a short trip to Chamonix from Paris from 20 Jul-22 Jul. We will be taking a train from Paris Gare du Lyon to Annecy on the 20th and a bus from Annecy to Chamonix. And then a bus from Chamonix to Annecy, Train from Annecy to Paris CDG on the 22nd for our 5:55pm flight back to Thailand. Do you know of any websites for buses from Annecy to Chamonix?

We will most likely have a few hours on the 20th before dinner and full day on the 21st. I have read the Aiguille du Midi Cable Cars is a must. How long does this take? Does this include the gondola?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Chamonix Itinerary

try this link

www.chamonix.com/page.php…

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Chamonix Itinerary

If you enjoy a scenic, but none-too-demanding walk try the Grand Balcon Nord - go up on the Planpraz lift then walk along the valley side to the Flegere and descend on the cable car there to Les Praz.robably 2 - 3 hours gentle walking, and worth enjoying a coffee at Planpraz or Flegere (or both). It will give you superb views of the Mont Blanc massif, will cost a lot less and be a lot lot less crowded than the Aiguille du Midi cable car (which often involves waits of a couple of hours. There's not a lot to do at the top of the Midi, other than to eyeball the scenery, fight the crowds, and then join the queue to go back down)

You can make it a circular walk by crossing the road outside the bottom station of the Flegere cable car, then following the main road back towards CHamonix for 400 metres until you cross the river, then turning right and strolling back through the woods.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Chamonix Itinerary

Why through Annecy? I suggest taking the TGV from Gare Lyon to St.Gervais, then the (beautiful) Chamonix train (world's steepest non-cog train, great experience) from St.Gervais to Chamonix. Easiest to book train tickets through raileurope.com.

The Aiguille du Midi Tram Ride is a must, to view Mont Blanc and surrounding area like no other. It is two tram rides to the top. Also take the Montevers train to the mer de glace and have lunch at the Hotel Montevers.

Check out my website on the vallee blanche and mer de glace for more info. I just returned again from Chamonix 2 days ago, and I miss it already!

moonbrookhill.com/vallee_blanche_mer_de_glac…

4. Re: Help with Chamonix Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 24, 2009