We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time skiing in chamonix

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time skiing in chamonix

Hi,

I'm hoping to head to chamonix for a week in Feb. never been skiing before but been to chamonix in the summer and love it. i know Chamonix has lots of intermediate / advanced runs but are there enough to occupy a beginner for a week accross the 5 different resorts??

Also, a couple of dumb questions:

1) Can i hire ski jacket / trousers as well as boots and skis?

2) Can you buy one day lift passes for a resort and then go to another one the next day? (as they are so close together)

Thanks,

Annie x

N Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time skiing in chamonix

Hi Annie

Can't answer all your questions. I went there with my son a couple of years ago and had a great time. I would consider myself as a beginner at that time as I had only had 2 lessons in Zermatt in summer the year previous. I spent all the time on the Brevent/Flegere slopes and found there was plenty to occupy me and challenge me as well on a couple of the intermediate slopes.

Yes you can buy a day lift pass, and it is not much more than paying for the week (pro-rata). I wouldn't say the different areas are that close to move between them on the same day. For example, if you decided to go to La Tour/Argentiere then I think you would stay there for the day. If you buy the weekly lift pass then it will cover you for all the main areas, you will have to pay extra for part of Grand Montets but I think this would be for intermediate/advanced people.

I don't know about hiring clothing, but what about a cheap coat in the sales, or try TKmax if you have them in London.

I can't wiat to get there again, I am organising a group to go, we will be there in late Feb.

Hope you have a good time

Geemacni

2. Re: first time skiing in chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 15, 2009