We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

Hello skiiers,

I am spending four days in Chamonix over Christmas and am looking for some local knowledge on the ski nordique options. I generally do 20-30k a session, have skiied in Jura, Massif Central, and around Grenoble and Les Saisses. I am doing the classic (not skating) style and so would really like to find some trails as opposed to the wider "roads" that are set up for skating.

Any tips to get me on the right trails quickly would be most appreciated.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

I am not into ski de fond but the tiurist office has all the details. WWW.chamonix.com.

I think most of the trails are prepared.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

Here's a link to the piste maps.

There are also some high altitude trails at Les Houches,

chamonet.com/gif/…chamonix_cross_country.pdf

They are usually prepared with two tracks for the classic style as well as one for the skating style, so you should be fine, especially since hte snow's been so good.

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

If you have a car, you can also go through the Mt Blanc tunnel to Val Ferret in Italy (25 mins). A lot of my ski de fond-ing friends go over there and are very enthusiastic.

The tracks in Argentiere are great, through the woods with the Cremerie selling great food a short detour. You can go right the way from Chamonix via Lavancher to Argentiere. There is a big hill in the middle but I'm guessing that you are pretty fit! All the tracks in Chamonix are tracked for traditional skiers.

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

That's great advice from everyone; the short trip to Italy is one that I will make.

The question about the trails is based on the idea that classic skiiers don't need much width on their trails (<5 meters) so they often prefer to ski on dedicated trails that are not so wide.

Looks like a good year for snow all around.

5. Re: Ski de fond/ski nordique in Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 15, 2009