We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva Airport to Chamonix

england
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva Airport to Chamonix

Hi, can anyone tell me what are options are getting to Chamonix from Geneva airport and approx costs, its a group of eight people. Thanks

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

Train is more or less impossible. If there is a bus service it probably leaves from Geneva proper rather than the airport.

This outfit will transfer up to eight passengers for approximately 25 Euros per person, one way.

http://www.a-t-s.net/index.php

I have no personal experience of them.

Lowestoft, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

You can get a bus from Geneva to Chamonix, once you land in Geneva, you can get the train (the station is below the airport to Geneva central which will take about 6 minutes. Once at the city station the gare routiere is about 5 minutes walk where the SAT buses are, they can take you on a bus to Chamonix, which will take about a hour and a half. I have done this trip by hiring a car, the SAT bus or if you catch a tram from the station to Eaux-Vives there is a tiny train station where you can catch a train into france and then it is a couple of trains, we have also done this trip with small kids and loads of luggage, I have friends living in the Alps and am often over there, the cost of a train is about 30 swiss francs each for adults less that for children. If you have any more queries email me on Avidstitcher@aol.com and may be able to help you out some more.

Cardiff
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

I've travelled a few times from Geneva airport to Chamonix. the train route is a nightmare and takes forever - I would recommend to avoid. There are regular buses in the holiday seasons that charge approx 25 - 35 euros each way. There are different bus companies that offer this service. Check out www.chamonet.com/faq.php?id_faq_type=42 - as a few are listed on this site.

The far easiest and cheapest way is to hire a car - the cheapest deal I have found is from www.holidayautos.co.uk. You can easily pick one up at the airport. As you leave the airport just follow the sign for the French motorway and the Chamonix signs are then really easy to see. The journey takes approx 45 - 50 mins.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

The cheapest bus transfer for people not travelling in a group is Alpybus. €28.50 pp each way. They operate several transfers per day.

Chamonix
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

You're right - AlpyBus is generally the cheapest if your travelling alone. However, the drawback is that, for the price, you have to fit into their scheduled service, which can mean quite a wait at the airport and/or a super-early pickup to get back to the airport before your flight leaves. The bus is bigger than 8-seats so there are lots of drops and pickups along the way and the journey takes at least 30 minutes longer than the smaller minibuses.

For groups, a private transfer is definitely the way to go, IMO. And, if there are 8 of you, it'll work our CHEAPER per person - no more than 25 euros one-way. Plus they'll deliver you straight to your door - no stopping en-route.

Last year we used www.geneva-chamonix-transfers.com and found them to be excellent. And there are others like them in the valley so you shouldn't be stuck for options.

Chamonix
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

HI there. Just wanted to respond to Gypeysman. Alpybus is still much cheaper for large groups. Over 8 people you can get a really great rate of 19.50 euros per person. I've checked numerous companies and Alpybus still offers by far the best deal. Journey time is around 10 minutes longer and the buses are slighly bigger but savings are definitely worth it.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

you really do get what you pay for! Personally, some of these posts look like they've been created by the owner of alpybus!

Take a look at www.dontusealpybus.com

Actions speak louder than words! You have been warned!

London
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

oops... mistyped the address there:

http://www.dontusealpybus.org

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

I just traveled from GVA to Chamonix last Friday Oct12 using private shuttle company called MountainDropOffs. Cost 200Euros for 6 people and it took 1hr 15 min for door-to-door service from airport-to-housing_agent-to-apartment . The service was good, the driver safe and courteous although the price was not the cheapest. However, it boils down to 33Euro per person.

http://www.mountaindropoffs.com/en/home/

The cheapest is A-T-S. The cost is 145Euros. I am trying to use this company on the return leg to GVA this Friday Oct19. I tried to use them on the outbound leg but they had a tight schedule with their transport. Cost per person will be 24Euro. I will report later the quality of the service.

http://www.a-t-s.net/

Both these companies are listed by the Chamonix website:

www.chamonix.com/page.php…

Hope this helps.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Geneva Airport to Chamonix

Try this for the public bus service from Geneva airport.

http://www.sat-montblanc.com/

I would agree with one of the other respondees it might cheaper , it will certainly be more convienient if you rent a car(s).

Cheapest will be from the Fench side or geneva Airport but the Swiss side is easier.

I would try Holiday Autos but also look up the big car hire companies and ring their 0800 number there are usally some deals.