We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

bangkok
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

Hi Guys,

is there any snow in October?

How about the weather in october?

Is it cold?

Please help.

Thanks

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

I can't speak specifically to Chamonix, but I can say that elevation has everything to do with the weather. Right now our freezing level is between 1,400 and 1,500 metres. So, that means frost and perhaps snow at higher elevations.

Generally speaking October is the autumn off-season so you might find that many ski oriented business aren't open even though there could be snow.

Daytime temperatures will vary with the amount of sunshine, but nighttime ones could be well below freezing, if you're at elevation. This time of year is the wobbly season with temperatures going up and down depending as much on cloud cover as much anything. We've been having snow overnight quite regularly (rain at lower elevations), but since our days are mosly sunny, the snow melts away each day.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

The weather in October can be sunny during the day and cold at night, rain, fog or snow. Or it could be mixture of it all.

In other words it is what it is.

Sorry but i have been numerous times in October and had the lot.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

Priceya

No snow in Chamonix valley. Snow at 3800m if you take the cable car to Aiguille du midi.

www.chamonix.com/page.php…

My family (4 kids) went hiking yesterday to the glacier. Beautiful autumn weather. Lots of sunshine. 16 degC.

We are staying till Oct 20. Lots of things to do although shops close early at 730pm. We plan to do more hikes, some mountain biking, and maybe parasailing.

Pros of visiting Chamonix in Oct:

Quieter, less tourists, great weather so far, cheaper accomodation, off-peak season

Pros of visiting Chamonix in Oct:

Quiet, all except one lift (Aiguille du midi) in service, shops close early, some activities not available.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

You may browse this website I already recommended to a previous poster asking for snow on December 27th (better chances for him!) :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187261-i1053-k149…

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

Weather forecast

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL MONDAY OCTOBER 22 2007

Saturday to Monday : fairly sunny and almost cold - NE wind, strong at times.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

Well I hope you went, it's been absolutely beautiful!!!

7. Re: How about the weather in Chamonix in October 20?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 12, 2009