We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great food at decent price?

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Great food at decent price?

Help please, Foodies!

We'll be in Annecy in July and want to take our mum somewhere special by the lake, possibly with a paddling/swimming option.

We're v. keen on great food and wine but this time we can't spend more than about 50 Euros per head all inclusive, and need somewhere that does plenty of fish and veggie dishes. You get the picture: quality, intimacy and beauty.

Any tips?

Thanks! We'll raise a glass to you.

WA, USA
Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great food at decent price?

In Annecy itself the restaurants aren't on the lake. They often border the canal, but not the lake itself. About three Km south of Annecy is Sévrier, which has restaurants that at least face the lake. Beware, though, that the traffic between Annecy and Sévrier can be horrendous. We are living in Sévrier this month and we find we would rather usually walk than drive.

There are many good restaurants in the old town down by the canals. I don't know the names of most of them, but over the next few days maybe I'll write some down and respond again. I'm about to walk into the old town for dinner as I write this.

Annecy
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great food at decent price?

For 50 EUR a head you should be able to get a good meal.

I would recommend going down to Talloires on the other

side of the lake from Sevrier. Often the service in restaurants

in Annecy itself leave a bit to be desired.

L'abbaye is supposed to be a good restaurant.

Good luck.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great food at decent price?

We were in Annecy last summer and I can recommend two places along the canal

l"Auberge du Lyonnais in old Annecy - 9 rue de la Republic - we had a memorable dinner here -up to high standards both for food and service and for a very reasonable price

also Le Chalet along the same side of the canal walking towards the lake - more casual but very good service and food

A few years ago we stayed at the Abbe which is a little bit out of the main area but had fabulous food

One caveat - We stayed at a hotel with such samall rooms we had to leave - we literally could not put the luggage in the room without walking on the beds - Hotel Bonlieu - it's a good location and clean but the rooms are claustrophoic even for European standards

Hope this helps

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great food at decent price?

Thank you every Foodie,

we will particularly heed your great advice, Jane. we are going to the Pere Bise for a lakeside lunch (slightly over budget, but we'll suck fondue over the border to pay for it), but will try your suggestions for dinner.

5. Re: Great food at decent price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, August 16, 2009