We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Annecy Crime

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Lake Annecy Crime

Apologies if this post appears ignorant, but I have booked a family holiday to Lake Annecy & since the awful shootings there have been so many reports of other 'shootings' carjacking, tourists being targeted etc etc. I know the media love to scare & do their best to make a totaly awful scenario appear even worse, but I need to know if there is any truth in these reports. We are travelling there with two small children & I don't want our week to be ruined by constantly worrying that we may be targeted.

Thank you in advance!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

Annecy was just unfortunate to have had that incident take place in its doorstep. Only some inner city areas of large cities are places to be wary of in France.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

Observations which I posted in early July following our visit to Annecy.

"Most surprising was the many groups of drug addicts, winos and vagrants who patrol the streets with their status dogs, lie around under the shady arches, inhabit shop doorways and generally add a seedy and intimidating element to the town. I never once saw a policeman"

I dont consider that these type of people were involved in the shootings- too off their heads - but there is an element to the town which did not feel comfortable.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

For all the questions surrounding the tragedy, the one thing that has remained steadfastly very clear throughout is the fact that this was NOT a random act of violence. They don't know why, but they are quite certain that this family was specifically targeted (which doesn't make it any less unsettling, only that it means that random tourists aren't at any particular risk)

In the interests of fairness, let's link the whole discussion so people see both sides of the coin -- particularly FrenchMystique's comments:

tripadvisor.com/…43148293

Edited: 3:32 pm, September 23, 2012
Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

I saw none of the winos, vagrants, drug addicts or people with their status dogs (and I've seen plenty of these types in different cities in France, usually large ones like Paris) or other type of riff raff during my time in Annecy so maybe at some time during the year they all have their convention there.;) What I saw was a beautiful and heavily touristic but pleasant town in a beautiful natural setting and honestly the comments about the creepy characters are the first I've ever seen on this or any other forum. I'm not saying Misinformed didn't see these people (I mention this so they don't think I'm doubting them) but I didn't see them and I've never heard anyone on any other forum make such comments in regards to Annecy.

I have no idea where you're getting these reports about all kinds of random violence, carjackings, shootings and tourists being targeted in Annecy because it's certainly not in any sort of French media. As Sunshine noted, this was an isolated incident and the people appear to have been targeted and it could have happened anywhere, even where you live.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

French Mystique - We saw these groups of undesirables regularly during our stay - particularly under the arches on Rue Filaterie, and on Quai Napoleon by the boat terminus. Not just in the evening. I didnt take photos. The numbers seemed out of proportion to the size of the town, and its location.

We have lived and worked in large cities and travelled all over the world, so I have not led a sheltered life, nor am I over-sensitive. It is what I noticed most, and my lasting memory of the town. If you look back to my original comments I did balance this with other positives, but I wont be returning.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

I have a friend who moved to Annecy just a few months ago -- in the conversations I've had with her in the interim, I'm pretty sure she would have mentioned any preponderance of drunks, winos, or ne'er-do-wells.

She and her partner have lived in some of the largest cities in the world on several continents, including a few with much higher crime rates than anything found in Annecy.....so they have a good sense for what might possibly be dangerous.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

Many thanks to all who have replied. I am still as confused as when I first posted, but as we were in doubt we have decided to go somewhere else.

A real shame, but to be honest, with two small children I do not want to take any risks or be worrying when we are on our holidays. I know the incident was isolated, the issue is that as a reult of that incident other reports have been made about the area (which I am very aware could well be a load of rubbish). There is plenty of crime where I live & a holiday would be to get away from this & feel relaxed. One person reporting 'drug addicts' is enough for me to make the decision to go somewhere else.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

but yet you live in London, where the incidence of crime and drug addiction is far higher than it could possibly be in Annecy....and is where the unfortunate family in the Annecy case lived before their untimely demise.

While I don't question your decision to go elsewhere...your logic leaves itself open to question.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

As stated in my last post, I have said I live in an area where there is crime & I do not want to take any risk to go somewhere where there is a risk of the sort of crime reported. I posted in order to get advice, not to be judged on my logic.

We have made a decision based on what is best for our family, I am confused as to you comment re my logic (I do not want to go on holiday & worry about being out after dark, I do not want to worry about anything other than what to have for dinner) The family were from Surrey not london, and as mentioned this was an isolated incident. Please also note I do not live in central london, in fact about half an hour from london (I did not feel the need to put my exact location) The area in which I live is a nice area, there is crime, as there is in most areas, my point is I do not want to go on holiday & worry about the safety of my children.

I just needed advice on the area, I have received that & appreciate the input from both sides.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Annecy Crime

@Clare: i'm curious to know which destination you've chosen. Would you be ok to tell us ?