We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

ive posted a similar question in the geneva forum - looking at bus and train timetables which show 2 to 2.5 hours on trains including changes)from geneva to annecy or lyon to annecy and return it seems to me tyhat you can be justas cheap and quicker hiring a taxi to take you to and from annecy - we are a party of 4 adults who are getting a airport transfer for 100 euros each way - when i look on the train booking sites it costs the same amount and takes twice the time - it seems strange that trains take so long when annecy is only 40 kilometers from geneva to annecy - i will check bus times as well but cant understand why trains take so long - in scotland i can go 80 kilometeres in jusdt over an hour by train!!!! am i missing something? any help would be appreciated

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

If you look back at previous posts in this forum, this question has effectively been answered numerous times. No-one uses the train from Geneva to Annecy, you use the Frossard buses, some of which go from the airport itself, the rest from the centre of Geneva

chamonix
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

With a slight fear if stating the obvious you are going from one country to the other and train links between France and Switzerland can be complicated. Also, your taxi will use the brand new and very efficient direct stretch of motorway which takes nearly a straight line from Geneva airport to annecy.

Jim

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

There is no direct train between Geneva and Anncey – it is only possible by a very complicated route. There is an infrequent bus service which can take up to 2 hours for a 44 km trip.

Some of the services make about 26 stops between Geneva Airport and Annecy, therefore takes 2 hours. Other services use Motorway for part of the journey and only stop about 12 times and are therefore shorter. The services which go directly from the airport to Annecy are infrequent, however if you get yourself from the Airport to the Gare Routiers (Bus Stn) in Geneva, there are more services to choose from. There are fewer services on Saturdays and Sundays. It costs about 11 euros 1 way.

We took a taxi, 30 mins, 95 Euros. The driver did tell us that at commuter times the road can be very busy, so bear that in mind if you are travelling at those times.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

thanks to all of you - will check out the frossards buses but dont want to spedn half our day on a bus so will likely use a taxi service and may negotiate a discount for using the same service a few times!!1

5. Re: merits of hiring a taxi from annecy to geneva and lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Annecy