We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

Hey :-)

On mid September we are planing to do some hiking in the TMB area and Annecy.

We probably going to start with Chamonix, as it's gets colder out there. After we are done with Chamonix, we would like to reach Annecy. I know there is no direct bus, but I couldn't find any good information about the switch in Garvis (prices, time-table) etc.

Is it basically Chamonix->Gervis->Anncey? I know that the cheapest way to do it is a mix of Bus and Train?

After we are done with Anncey, we need to get back to Geneva. We heard the Train to Geneva is hell. Any other options?

We dont know when we going to do the moving from one city to the other, depends on the weather mostly. Is it possible to buy tickets on the spots for both transfers? or they required pre-booking?

And as a side note - We probably going to have 2-3 days in Annecy, so if anyone has a good long day hikes around it (maybe a view on the lake from the top of the nearby mountains), I would love to get some details :-)

Thanks!

Edited: 7:23 am, September 04, 2011
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

There is some good information here:

chamonix.net/english/…train_to_cham.htm

It's more about getting to Chamonix but still provides useful info on the train network.

Book your train online here:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

I used http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ to check the prices, and for a 15 minutes down the valley train from Saint Gervais to Chamonix it's very expensive (the price makes more sense from Gervais to Anncey as its longer).

I read somewhere you can add a bus somewhere (From Chamonix to Gervais or from Gervais to Anncey - I'm not sure)?

Also, do I have to prebook the trains and busses in Europe? Can't I just show up at the counter and do it on the spot? (as I will only have a 24 hours notice between I need to depart from Chamonix to Anncey.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

OK, sorry, I did a mistake with the train stops. One way from Chamonix to Anncey is around 30 Euros which makes more sense :-)

But maybe you can help me with my other questions. Do I have to book Ahead? or Can I buy tickets on the train stations themselves on the same price? Also - When buying the Tickets, where do I pick them up?

Thanks.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

There a few different train types in France.

The TGV is the super-quick one that goes between major cities and should be booked in advance.

The TER is a more regional one and can be paid for on the day although I think the prices may then increase slightly.

Here is a guide from a Trip Advisor member:

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

Hi

I f you look back in the past posts in this forum, you will see many explanations of the best transport between Annecy and Geneva. Basically, you need the Frossard bus service, which runs between Annecy bus station and Geneva, with all buses going to the centre of Geneva, and some also serving the airport.Since the new motorway has been built, the journey takes approx 45 minutes, and you usually dont need to prebook.

The timetable is http://www.frossard.eu/horaires.phtml

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

Thanks Guys :-)

For future reference (if people will ever need).

Frossard is the name of the bus shuttle from Anncey to Geneva Airport/City.

There is no direct line from Chamonix to Anncey, you have to:

1. Take Train from Chamonix to Saint Gerves (10 Euro, 44 Min)

2. Take Train from Saint Gerves to Anncey (15 Euro)

Thats everyone who helped :)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

1. Take Train from Chamonix to Saint Gerves (10 Euro, 44 Min)

2. Take Train from Saint Gerves to Anncey (15 Euro)

why do you pay twice?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

Ermm, According to TGV-Europe you pay for two ticket, one from Chamonix to Saint Gerves and another one from Saint Gervens to Anncey, as there is no direct way.

Am I missing something?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

>Ermm, According to TGV-Europe you pay for two ticket, one from Chamonix to Saint Gerves and another one from Saint Gervens to Anncey, as there is no direct way.

No, of course you need to change trains in St Gervais, but why do you buy two tickets?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transportation From Annecy and Too Annecy

If you through-book the journey you will save a few €uros. Note that on some timings you may need to make two changes and on others one segment or another may be by bus.