We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Which Saint-Remy-de-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Hi there,

We will be in Provence from 23 - 30 Sept this year and was wondering what would be the best place to base ourselves to see the area? We will be hiring a car from Avignon so will be quite mobile, and are ideally looking to stay in or around a small village rather than a large town like Avignon.

Two places that we have looked at so far are St Remy de Provence and Saint Laurent des Arbres and I was wondering if anyone has stayed at either or both of those places??

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thank you.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

We, along with many other visitors, have stayed at St-Rémy. It's a pleasant small town that is an exellent spot for doing sightseeing in all directions. However, St-Rémy is not a village--for that you might check out Maussane-les-Alpilles.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Agree with Underhill's comments. We spent five days in Les Baux last October --- nice availability and selection of hotels ( we stayed at Mas De L'Oulivie and were very satisfied ). Quiet, country atmosphere---note: this was mid-month and thus not in high tourist season. The location was ideal for us---five minutes into Maussane-les Alpilles and Paradou, Glanum and St Remy about 45 mins. Fontviellie is nearby. Took a daytrip into Arles. Excellent restaurants, beautiful scenery, slow-paced

So if you are looking for a small village environment, I think this area will meet your needs.

Happy Travels

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Hi Underhill & Bingville

Thank you for your advice and information – it is certainly very helpful. There seems to be so many beautiful places to stay at in Provence that it is quite difficult to decide on just one location.

I will check out Maussane-les-Alpilles as it sounds quite centrally located with lots of charm.

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Hi Underhill,

I have read elsewhere on the Forums that you have a driving guide tip sheet? If it is not too much trouble, could you please email it to me at p101f@yahoo.co.uk?

Thank you!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Glad to--it's an article that my husband wrote for a travel web site. I'll send you one of mine, too, on the towns of Tarascon and Beaucaire, not far from St-Rémy.

new york
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Underhill, will you send to me, too?

apryor@nyc.rr.com

Je vous en prie!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

De rien--c'est mon plaisir.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

I'm a little surprised to see Maussane-les-Alpilles getting all this attention. Don't get me wrong. I'm actually a HUGE fan of M-les-A and stayed there a number of times until my Provence base moved a little farther north and east. But Maussane is perhaps the most "ordinary" of the villages in the area, which is exactly why I like it.

It has a couple of small hotels, the more pretentious of which I don't care for, two cafés, and a small handful of places to eat, some of which are quite good, a couple of which are very pleasant, but none of them anything special. It really doesn't have the "charm" of Les Baux or even Fontvieille or Eygalières IMO. And, sadly, since the road through the village now carries much more traffic than it did just a few years ago it is no longer quite the haven of peace it once was. (It does produce superb olive oil, however,)

But, as I said, I am a huge fan, and if you are looking for somewhere that is about as un-touristy as anywhere in that region can be, go for it!

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It is great to be able to receive different viewpoints. We are slowing working towards a shortlist but fast running out of time to book up. I did not realise that even though we will be coming at the end of Sept it would still be so busy.

Thank you Underhill for sending through that information. Unfortunately I seem to be having problems with my Yahoo account and could not access the document. Apologies for the inconvenience, but could you please email the document to this address hktravels@hotmail.com?

Also, will it still be warm enough to swim?

Merci!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Remy de Provence vs Saint Laurent des Arbres?

I just sent the article again...hope it gets there. If not, perhaps the third time will be the charm!