We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Provence (St Remy)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in Provence (St Remy)

Please critique my itinerary. I will be staying in St Remy for three nights and would appreciate lunch and dinner recommendations. Also I am interested in wine. I am planning on scheduling a ½ day tour on my 1st day. But if anyone knows of other nice wineries that are in the areas of my tentative itinerary please I would love to hear form you.

Wednesday September 14

Arrive via TGV at 10am and pickup rental car

10:30 Avignon, Place du Palais, Pont St Benezet

(grab lunch somewhere easy)

2:30 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, wine tour – wine uncovered

5-7:00 St Remy to check into hotel

Dinner in St Remy (suggestions?)

Thursday September 15

Arles

Pont du gard

Suggestions for lunch and dinner?

Friday September 16

Isle-Sur-la-Sorgue, Gordes, Roussillon

Suggestions for lunch and dinner?

Sat Sept 17

Check out of Hotel in St Remy

Ruins of Glanum

Monastery of St Paul de Mausole

Les Baux-de-Provence

(5-7) Drive to Cassis check into hotel

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

For your lunch in Avignon, you might want to check out either Le Moutardier du Pape (facing the Papal Palace), or La Fourchette, 17 rue Racine.

If you want to really splurge on dinner in St. Remy, consider La Maison Jaune, 15 rue Carnot. A less expensive option would be the Bistrot de Marie, 1 rue Jaume Roux.

In Arles for lunch, take a look at L'Atelier de Jean Luc Rabanel, 7 rue des Carmes, if you want to splurge and like tapas-like cuisine. Other options include Bistrot a Cote, 21 rue des Carmes.

In L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, we love eating riverside at either Lou Nego Chin, 12 Quai Jean Jaures, or Cafe de la Sorgue, 31 Quai Jean Jaures.

When you visit Les Baux-de-Provence, there are a several good places to eat in nearby villages. In Maussane-les-Alpilles,, check out Ou Ravi Provencau, 34 Avenue de la Vallee des Baux, Bistrot de la Petite France, 55 Aveenue de la Vallee des Baux, or one of the restaurants that have seeting in the park with the lovely fountain right in the center of town. Other dining options in the nearby village of Paradou include the Bistrot du Paradou, 57 Avenue de la Vallee de Baux (one of our favorites) and Bistrot La Petite France, 55 Avenue de la Vallee des Baux.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

WOW!!!! Thanks AlpillesGal! I will look into all of your restaurant suggestions. Obviously we won't want to break the bank but we will do a few splurges while we are there. I am really excited for September. It’s taking forever to get here :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

On the day when you are in st Remy, I would suggest you reserve at Au Tout Petit for an excellent and good value lunch, rather than takng your chances (I had one of my worst meals in France in Avignon a couple of years ago, because I was too hungry to look for somewhere good). I always head for Lou Grilladou my first night in St Remy because I love it, it's really good value for money and they have outside space. In Arles I like La gueule du loup in rue des Arenes, excellent value for money. In l'Isle sur la Sorgue there are two places by the river I really like, one is called Le Nego Chien (I think this is a pun for Le Negociant but could be wrong) and there's another next door. Or in Roussillon, l'Ocrier. When you get to Cassis don't miss le Bonaparte in rue Bonaparte. Get there for 7pm or you'll have to wait till 9.30pm. It's always packed because it's the best in town. Not expensive either. Also if you take the walk up to the top of the calanques there's a very good resto by the tennis club where they do a fab lunch.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

I see that you have sightseeing planned on two days when you will, presumably, have luggage in your car. Not a good idea! The area you are in is prime location for thieves. Be sure you have luggage well covered, leave nothing like maps visible in the car, and back in when you park. You'll see warning seens around most of the popular sights.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

Thank you ChicChantal! I'll look into your suggestions also. I'm getting hungry!!!!

Catullus our luggage will be in the car while we are in Avignon and Châteauneuf-du-Pape for a wine tour. There is really no other way. We can not check into St Remy until later in the day. You are making me nervous!!!! I will have an ipad but that will stay with me while I walk around.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

ChicChantal, do you mean Au tout Petit at Avignon? We were there a little while ago - and it's not so 'tout petit' now - the extension into next door has happened; there's a very different feel about the new area, but the food and service were still very good!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

I wish I could tell you not to be nervous, but unfortunately that's not the case. You might ask your hotel whether you can drop off your luggage--usually that's not a problem. Otherwise, just be very cautious and try to park in lots with video surveillance. In Avignon there's a good underground lot near the Palais des Papes.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

Thanks Catullas... I will definitely park underground then....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

So how's my itinerary look? Is it doable? Should I add anything?

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three days in Provence (St Remy)

In Saint Remy we really enjoyed our meals at Mirabeau (huge salads, nice for lunch but also enough for a light dinner), La Fontaine (good value 3 course meal) and l' Olivade (good food and lovely courtyard). There are several pizza places that are also good for a simple dinner. The only place that we did not like so much was restaurant Des Anges but we had read very good reviews and we were there on a very quiet night so it might has had to do something with that.

There is a place that has good icecream (somewhere on the ringroad, I think it is called Tearoom Roma or something like that) and don't forget the gorgeous chocolats at Joel Durands (also on the ringroad close to the icecream place).

it is a pity you will miss the wednesday market in Saint Remy.

In Avignon we also tried to find the parking garage at the Palais but unfortunately could not find it. Somehow we never found the entrance. There is also a parking at les Halles and one a little further out by the trainstation. For a (simple but good) lunch in Avignon we really like Ginette et Marcel at Rue des 3 Faugons.