We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

Which Saint-Remy-de-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

I'm trying to plan a last minute (sort of) trip to Provence with my 17 year old son and 9 year old daughter in July. We'd be flying into Paris staying a day or two and then traveling by train to St. Remy. I've been to Paris before, but never Provence. What train service should I take to St. Remy? Is there a good car rental to use? Ideas where to stay? My son and I are really into history. Any ideas for castles, historical sites to see? I know it's alot to ask....any help would be greatly appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

There's no train station in St Remy. What you do is get the TGV from Gare de Lyon in Paris to Avignon TGV. Someone else will have to suggest car rentals as I don't drive but I believe you can pick up the rental car from Avignon TGV and then drive to St Remy, about 20-30 minutes' drive. If you want to see a castle I can thoroughly recommend Tarascon, a lovely small town with a fabulous castle, turrets, spiral staircases and you can climb right up to the battlements. It's on the Rhone and the views are wonderful. You can also do Roman France til the cows come home: five sites in Arles including a cemetery, theatre and arena, the Maison Carree and arena in Nime, the pont du Gard near Uzes, Uzes itself, a gorgeous small town, the perched village of Roussillon and at the bottom of the hill the pont Julien which I've always assumed to be roman too. Then there's the ruined Roman city of Glanum near St Remy and a couple of miles further on the ruined hilltop town of Les Baux where you may almost meet the Wolf of Orange in person. Do you want a hotel or a gite to stay in? You need to book fast as July is v. popular with the French.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

For car rentals you could use www.autoeurope.com who are a broker and generally have good rates and a wide variety of options.

Get your hands on the Michelin green guide to Provence and the relevant Michelin 1:200,000 scale map of the region. If you can get them before you leave so much the better but you will be able to find them in Paris with no difficulty. Try any FNAC store. There is one very big one on boulevad St-Michel for example. Please do get both of these items ASAP. You will be lost without them, literally and figuratively.

Not sure quite how last-minute this trip is but you might want to pre-book your TGV (high speed train) tickets to Avignon as this could save you a bit of money compared to last-minute fares purchased when you get to Paris. Go to www.tgv-europe.com but select Great Britain as your "home" country to avoid being redirected to RailEurope whose fares are usually considerably higher. Alert your CC issuer before you try to book that you will be making a "foreign" purchase so they can lift any security block. Do this by calling the fraud department not just the usual toll-free customer service number.

Add Nîmes, Avignon itself and Aigues-Mortes to ChicChantal's excellent list.

Have a great trip!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I'd love to stay in a gite, but since we may not be there a full week, or arriving on off days, it may not be feasible. Maybe a hotel or B&B would be better? Also, is there any WWII sites in this area? We've been to Bayeux and Normandy and loved the WW II history; I know this area has a different historical perspective, but I'm not sure what;s available. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

So far as I know, nothing from WW2 in that area of France.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

As Nick says, aside from occupation not much happened in World War 2 in this area until Operation Dragoon about 2 months after D Day.

An Allied landing of American and French forces took place. Opposing them were an undermanned and poorly equipped 11 German divisions. Their manpower and equipment had been stripped for other more threatened fronts.

So the action was mostly a rapid German retreat north to the Vosges mountains as they couldn't hope to stop the Americans and French. You can read more here if you like: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

South Africa
Level Contributor
182 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

We will be in Paris in late November as would like to do a day trip out of Paris by train. Any recommendations apart from Versailles and Auvers, which we've done.

I quite fancy St Remy as an option, being a huge Van Gogh fan, so could anyone please give me as straight forward a route as possible from Paris to St Remy using public transport.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 8:14 am, November 10, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

I don't think St Remy is an option for a day trip... there's no train station for one thing. You'd spend over 6 hours in total on the train... add an hour for time spent waiting at each end plus the time needed to get to and from stations... over 8 hours will be eaten up by travel along.

Pick up Annabelle Sims' "An Hour From Paris" for all kinds of ideas much closer. Chartres, Fontainebleau, Giverny, Vaux le Vicompte, even Brussels or Lyon are possibilites.

Edited: 9:23 am, November 10, 2011
South Africa
Level Contributor
182 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

Thank you very much for your advice - much appreciated.

9. Re: Traveling to St. Remy from Paris...Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 11, 2012